Cutting Large Round Table (Table Saw, Band Saw, or Router)?

Beek

My next project is going to be a 70" round dining table.  I plan to use 6/4 stock and still deciding on species but figure Walnut or Cherry. 

I wanted to get advice from those who have done it on the best way both safety wise and finish product wise to cut such a large circle with my standard shop gear?

The equipment I have is Grizzly 14" band saw, 10" Hybrid Cabinet Saw, and router.  Getting an extra hand in the shop is possible but not easily done but assume it's going to be a one man operation.

Thanks

James

Hi james, with a 40" strip of ply or mdf, you could readily make a circle cutting jig for the router.

Using a 1/2" bit cut the circle with the jig say 3/8" deep. Remove the jig,  using a  jigsaw which I'm sure someone you know has if you don't,  cut away the outside waste staying close to your inside line.  Now chuck up a top bearing pattern bit,  set the bearing in the initial groove to flush the rest to your initial line.  

It takes a few steps but will work. 

• Like 2

Thanks Brendon_t, I didn't think about cutting the waste away that way, sounds relatively safe and slow and a lot less jig building involved.  Have you done this and how did your finished edge come out.  I pretty much have a full complement of your standard tools,  I don't have a Domino...yet.

J

5 minutes ago, Jabella said:

Thanks Brendon_t, I didn't think about cutting the waste away that way, sounds relatively safe and slow and a lot less jig building involved.  Have you done this and how did your finished edge come out.  I pretty much have a full complement of your standard tools,  I don't have a Domino...yet.

J

I have done this process multiple times while following a pattern for an inset lamination.  The only difference being I didn't use a circle jig,  I used a curved template. 

This video shows the process minus the round template. 

https://youtu.be/lR9_CjQYZj4

On 12/30/2015 at 2:33 PM, Brendon_t said:

Steve, I've only heard a reciprocating saw ie sawzall called a saber saw, is that what you are talking about? 

The problem is that some people use the same name for different saws.  The one for precise cuts that uses small blades not the one that is for demolition and uses large blades is what was being discussed.

Norm used a circle cutting jig with a band saw for this kind of thing, though I am sure you could build a jig for a jig saw or router or any combination there of.

I did mine recently like everyone here is saying.  Jigsaw the waste then rout the final dimension.  The *only* issue I had was that the jig was flexible and a couple times I allowed it to ride up and I got a ridge that had to be sanded in a few places.  This was the one I used:

129955.jpg

It happened to be in the shop - I would not buy one if it was not there already.  This one was gimmicky in that it told you exactly how wide the circle would be for different diameter bits.  It was off.