Almost love at first sight

collinb

3 hours ago, Pug said:

ive had a tenoning jig, and much prefer the dado stack method for making traditional tenons.

Same here, but the tenoning jig excels at making angled tenons.  I don't really know another way besides cutting them by hand.  I suppose the bandsaw could do it.  But the TJ makes fast and accurate work of it.

As little as I use my tenoning jig there's no way I'd be looking at upgrading to the PM.  As much as I like PM.

12 minutes ago, Janello said:

I'm in the same camp. It's just not even close to being on my wish list. Heck, for as little as I'd use a tenon jig rather than dado set, i grabbed a used delta in great shape at a ww show for like 30 bucks. 

So timely. We went to some friends house tonight for diner. He asked what my next project was and I told him about the shop made that I was eager to get started on. He got up, went to his shop and returned with the delta and offered me a 30 year lease on it for a walnut crotch I have. Deal consummated! 

A different perspective on making tenons.  I have a griz tenon jig (basically a delta clone) that I got as part of a package deal of used tools.  I tried to use it and hated every moment.  For me, holding the board vertical was the worst. I dreaded making tenons. Then I saw the speed tenon.  The griz now gathers dust and I don't even bother with using a dado blade. Set up is way fast and with a little care (uniform pressure against the fence) my shoulders are precise and aligned. I do cut a number of kerfs before cleaning the face of the tenon.  I also try to remove small amount of material at a time.  But the result is perfect tenons every time.

3 minutes ago, Phil B said:

A different perspective on making tenons.  I have a griz tenon jig (basically a delta clone) that I got as part of a package deal of used tools.  I tried to use it and hated every moment.  For me, holding the board vertical was the worst. I dreaded making tenons. Then I saw the speed tenon.  The griz now gathers dust and I don't even bother with using a dado blade. Set up is way fast and with a little care (uniform pressure against the fence) my shoulders are precise and aligned. Perfect tenons every time.

I have the Grizz as well and don't have any issues with it.  A 0 clearance backer does help.

If I need to do one quickly, I still grab the shop built one tho.