Almost love at first sight

collinb

Wife's family was up over the Christmas break.  Took brother-in-law and father-in-law over to my local toy store one day.  Had not seen the PM-TJ before.  Almost fell in love at first sight.  And then touching it.  Smooth bearings, easy adjustments.  What a nicely engineered piece!

pmtj.jpg

Wife's family was up over the Christmas break.  Took brother-in-law and father-in-law over to my local toy store one day.  Had not seen the PM-TJ before.  Almost fell in love at first sight.  And then touching it.  Smooth bearings, easy adjustments.  What a nicely engineered piece!

pmtj.jpg.381fe2b1742865c6d37ab2a20c165da9.jpg

So did you buy it??

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Aanddd.... now it's yours? 

No. Not yet. May be a while.

2 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

At $344 USD list, it better be nice!

And when you slide it the bearings feel nice and tight.

Makes a guy want to become a machinist.  After all, it was not that awfully long ago that photographers were also chemists and painters fabricated their own medium.  So for a woodworker to also be a machinist ... isn't that what building jigs is all about?  It's not just about cobbling them together but making them as useful as possible. Jig maturity  Hence T-channel and all the things that attach.

• Like 2

This is Powermatics attempt at combining the idea of the brilliant tenon master from Bridge City Toolworks, with the same tenon jig that has been on the market for a hundred years. If you want to make tenons, there are better and cheaper ways of doing it that this contraption. Not to mention that the BCTW version is about a third the price...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

That's a nice design in general.  Might make a good project.
One thing I'd add is a worm gear.  There are those clamp kits for just a few dollars which give you 2 nuts and a threaded post.  Just a handle or knob on the end could create a nifty jig.

The new PM looks like a nice unit, at least at first glance in terms of fit and finish...what you would expect from PM.

But after watching that video that Marc posted a couple months back, the jig seems way too fidgety, poorly designed...too complicated to make adjustments.  Aside from the build quality I really don't see the advantage over a traditional model for a fraction of the price.  I mean if you can't cut a tenon with one of the old tenon jigs you should probably give up woodworking, because it ain't hard.

Another solution for a problem that doesn't exist...it's becoming an epidemic...so much unnecessary crap out there these days.  Build it well and make it shiny and people will buy them up.