Total Shop Benchtop Planer

MHRestorations

18e1ecae9ab0d035d1c9e3a329d72731.jpg

bdcb085ae67b8edc9471e34e2306bd27.jpg

I purchased a Total Shop Benchtop planer for $50 at an auction a few years back. Finally getting around to getting it up and running. My current issue is the brushes in the motor were removed prior to the auction. I didn't know much at the time, so I assumed I would be able to find parts. Turns out that is fairly difficult. I'm looking for any advice on getting replacement brushes for the motor, or am I better off to scrap it? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For anyone who has viewed this post and is interested, I believe I've found a solution. The Delta 22-540 12 inch Benchtop planer is nearly identical to this Total Shop model. The holes for the brushes look to be identical to each other between these models. I'll soon try the Delta brushes and post on here with my.....success, hopefully.

• Like 1

I did get the motor running. The brushes from the delta model were about 1/16 too thick. I was told by a good source that you can file them down, so I did. The motor worked, but the brush-armature contact was sending sparks out. Too much to be comfortable with. I added a slight curve to the ends of the brushes to give them a larger amount of surface area to contact the armature. However, sparks still flew, and the brushes began to chip away. Looks like this Total Shop planer is going to find a dark corner to sit in for a few years. Anyone know of any great current sales on bench-top planers....?

I did run it for about a minute and a half with the hope that they would seat themselves, which I think is what you are suggesting? When I removed the brushes after that time they had just chipped more than before. Is that long enough for them to seat themselves?

As of now I cannot access the commutator through any way other than the holes for the brushes, which isn't enough space to do anything useful. I've broken the motor down in an effort to get access to the commutator, but to no avail. I'll give it another go this morning and post some pictures.

• 3 years later...

Hello. I am a retired power tool technician from down under.  I believe that you probably have segments on the commutator end of your armature which are lifting. Your chipped carbon brushes are the tell tale sign of this fact. In Australia we still can get armatures rewound  but I am not sure where you are located and what it would cost you. Here it would be approximately AU$80.00 for a 1500 watt armature overhaul but when returned it will be better than original specs. Kind regards, Ross

• 7 months later...