Shaper Fence Guidance Needed

wnaziri

A while back, I was debating between router table vs a shaper.  Well, to make a long story short, I ended buying a nice little shaper.  Here is a picture of it:

Shaper.thumb.jpg.47252cb6df05fcc3f3304d3

As you can see, It has the standard Northfield hold-down without a fence with 1" by 6" spindle.  The table is 26" X 36".  

I would like to add a nice, accurate fence.  I would also like the fence to have good dust collection.  I am not having good luck with my search so far.

Question:

Are there third party shaper fences?  

If so, which do you consider to be good quality / most useful?

The cabinet shop I worked in we made all our own fences for the shapers. A good 3/4" piece of good hard wood (we used oak) about 8 or 10" wide with a piece turned at 90 degrees on the front edge. Cut a hole the size of the cutter you want to use on the base. Cut a couple slots in the base on opposite ends and drill and tap the top of the shaper according to the slots. These are quick and easy to make and you can add a box over the top of where the cutter head is for Dust collection. The best part of these if the face of the fence gets chewed up, just run it over the jointer and its ready to go again!

I would use 3/4" Baltic birch to build the base and framework of the fence and then add a solid wood face to the fence that can be adjusted sideways to close any gaps near the cutter.

Getting the face of the fence dead square to the table is important. I use playing cards as shims if the face is off in a certain area.

• Like 1