Just what we need....Another Roubo.

Janello

3 hours ago, Janello said:

Ya know, I wound up with that exact same reveal consistantly on every single rail. I wonder if the mortise layout in the plans are not a tad off.

That's definitely possible.  Mine were flush because I ignored the plans once the mortises were cut.  Once the mortises were cut I used relative dimensioning to figure out the tenon shoulders.

4 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Above the window! Is the prize one of the spoke shaves to the left of your chisels?

You win! But I learned my lesson in Tom's Roubo journal, so....

nothing.jpg.bff1fdbd8acaf0a183eba9496f50

47 minutes ago, Eric. said:

How are you not done with this thing yet?  Lazy much?

I hear ya man. Judging how long this is taking me, one might think I was building a really intricate hope chest or something. :P

• Like 2

15 days into the build. Got the base glued and pegged, and the chop working. Tonight I'll flip it over on the top and make it a bench.

First time doing draw bore tennons. It went way smoother than I expected,,,,I now see why this is a preferred technique. Man does that really lock things up nice!

20160207_180538_resized.thumb.jpg.248281

20160207_182622_resized.thumb.jpg.b4f3d4

20160207_180553_resized.thumb.jpg.fb42a1

20160205_002322_resized_1.thumb.jpg.e380

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Looking good John ! You just jinxed yourself by putting those feet up on the unfinished project !!

Oh nooooo..I didn't get a copy of the feet up rule book! :ph34r:

19 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

My next project i do I'm going to try some draw bore M&T they seem like a great way to do things.

It's like putting a pad lock on your joinery. Amazing how well it works.

8 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Looking good. I was wondering what the heck you plunged into your top for,  guess it wasn't the top after all. 

Funny you say this...about half way through routing this, I had a mini stroke!!  I second guessed myself if it was the actual bottom of the slab. I don't know why I wasn't sure of myself...I guess I seen the tail vise handle and had a moment of vertigo.

The pine plank shop walls takes me back to weekends spent in my dad's shop... I always tell myself I'll go pine planks in my next shop... But it never seems to happen... Every shop's been 3/4 ply painted white myself.... Have you ever been tempted to whitewash the pine? My dad used a very thin blend of whitewash that's more translucent then pigment, but it added just that extra little bit of brightness that was helpful around the bench...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

The spacing was so consistent I thought you had cut some sort of joinery then was wondering what king of bit would possibly make that joint in such a thick board. .

Is your top still a full 4"?

Yup, it's full 4" but I didn't flatten it yet. I have one high corner...maybe an eighth. The rest should be within 1/16th high/low

15 minutes ago, hhh said:

The pine plank shop walls takes me back to weekends spent in my dad's shop... I always tell myself I'll go pine planks in my next shop... But it never seems to happen... Every shop's been 3/4 ply painted white myself.... Have you ever been tempted to whitewash the pine? My dad used a very thin blend of whitewash that's more translucent then pigment, but it added just that extra little bit of brightness that was helpful around the bench...

That's pin oak, trip. ;)

It just has a nice layer of dust on it.