Just what we need....Another Roubo.

Janello

Very nice!! I just flattened the top of mine last night. When I started this project I thought the hardest (most nerve racking parts) would be the condor dovetail and flattening the top but by far all those dang routed mortise and tenons were the most nerve racking for me. Finishing the chop tomorrow and then just finish. Like you I am ready for this project to be complete. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric Thomas Weber said:

What kind of wood did you use for your end cap for the dovetail? Looks amazing.

Also, I've not gone through all the videos. Was it hard to adapt to the plan for the x in the leg vise? If that's well covered in the video series, ignore this question. Thanks for the inspiration!

It's not exactly covered in the guild series, but the retro is and it's pretty similar. I was slightly intimidated by the thick instructions BC puts out, but half pertains to the retro and when it's all said and done, there really aren't that many parts to figure out. Once you start working on it, it will all make sense pretty quick. 

Oh and the secondary wood is cherry. Thanks for the compliment :)

4 minutes ago, Chet K. said:

Have you decided how you are going to put the first dent in it? :P

I put the first dent in it last night. Bent underneath it to pick something up and wacked the back of my head on the underside of the front slab. That bench don't move! :wacko:

Actually, just my head got dented. 

What did the wood cost you for the build? I'm looking around at prices and am trying to get a sense to budget. These materials aren't easy to find around where I live (Northern Mississippi). Found one great deal, but with shipping it comes out to not as big a savings as I'd like. I still want to get great material, though. Any good sites on how to track down the best sources of good hardwoods geographically? For now, I can just dig and ask around.

Bell forest has a lumberkit specifically for this bench. 

Other than that,  get on Google and woodnet and find all your local hardwood dealers.  Have a few  different woods in mind when you call around and check prices and availability of 8/4. 

I found that by me,  Steamed European Beech was cheaper than hard maple by about $1.70/ bdft

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eric Thomas Weber said:

What did the wood cost you for the build? I'm looking around at prices and am trying to get a sense to budget. These materials aren't easy to find around where I live (Northern Mississippi). Found one great deal, but with shipping it comes out to not as big a savings as I'd like. I still want to get great material, though. Any good sites on how to track down the best sources of good hardwoods geographically? For now, I can just dig and ask around.

I got hard maple from a woodcutter in Trenton NJ for around $6.50 b/f. It's best if you can find a supplier that will tailor your order to your needs so you're not paying for a ton of waste. All my boards were between 5 and 6 inches wide and 8 foot long strait line ripped. I got just over 150 b/f and had very minimal waste.

Here's how many 8/4 boards to figure on-

7 front lams

7 rear lams

4 more gives you 4 legs and 4 short rails

1 more gives you 2 long rails

1 more gives you chop and extras

1 more for misc.

= 21

Then I ran back for some wider 4/4 for shelf and gap stop.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, estesbubba said:

I got hard maple locally for $4.50 BF. Like Janello said you want around 5" or 10" wide boards for the top to minimize waste. Hard maple from Bell Forest will run about $5 BF after shipping. 

My price total was the same as Bell Forest once they added shipping. They wanted $800 to ship to me. I wound up with less than 200b/f but because I ordered it to my specific needs, it worked out to be the perfect amount for the same price as Bell Forest. 

John that turned out great and one sexy looking bench. The cherry and front laminate look awesome, and as Eric knows, pirate ship handwheels are in. Great craftsmanship and that first top scratch will hurt a little but it will be the first of many. When you find a 3/4" bit you like for the top let me know.

Now it's time to get everything resharpened!

1 hour ago, Janello said:

My price total was the same as Bell Forest once they added shipping. They wanted $800 to ship to me. I wound up with less than 200b/f but because I ordered it to my specific needs, it worked out to be the perfect amount for the same price as Bell Forest. 

Wow that is some serious shipping! When I called they gave a rough estimate of $150 on the phone to ship to the terminal and I would pick up there. Maybe the rough estimate was way off or shipping to a terminal is a lot cheaper. Anyway I ended getting it all locally and found a bunch of 10" wide boards which worked out great. 

2 hours ago, Janello said:

The only thing I didn't do was drill out the 3/4 holes in the top. I need to get a better bit for that.

That came out looking great John.  

Lee Valley has a 3/4 bit that comes with a guide bushing that you can mount in a scrap of wood to make a jig for nice strait holdfast holes.