Woodpecker One-Time Track Square

Cliff

Those of you that have track saws, do you see value in this? http://www.woodpeck.com/tracksquare.html

I'm asking because I intend to buy a track saw soon. I also intend to buy a 32" Woodpecker t-square soon. I wonder the value of having both. The T-Square is, I figure, going to be used about 85% of the time for cuts that involve a track saw. If not 100%. But the potential is there for it to be used for something else, whereas the track square is a one-trick pony.

The ordering deadline is April 4 for the Track Square, so if I wait until I experience how easy/difficult it is to square up a track saw cut, I'll miss out on buying it. Downside is that it won't ship til August and I really need it way before that.

Per Woodpeckers, they modified the design after receiving some feedback. They added some screws to allow for 45 degree cuts, as well as the ability to clamp the track using the Festool clamps. 

It's a luxury item, I don't see it as a must for anyone with a track saw, unless you're breaking down an ungodly amount of sheet goods. 

I line up my tracks using my Woodpeckers 26"framing square, which is not a 1 trick pony. 

18 minutes ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

I line up my tracks using my Woodpeckers 26"framing square, which is not a 1 trick pony. 

Which is an item I definitely missed the boat on :) When that thing becomes available again I'm all over it.

I love both festool and woodpecker products but this one is a pass from me.  I have their 26" framing square and use that thing all the time.  If you're alot of repetitive cuts on sheet goods I suggest the parallel guide.  But I think the aftermarket ones are better designed.  I had the festool ones and sold them and got one from Seneca. 

• Like 1

There is a Festool short rail that can lock at several angles. I don't know who sells this rail though. It made its first appearance with the cordless track saw if my memory isn't failing.

Amazon UK link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Festool-FSK-250-Cross-Cutting/dp/B00X7D1Y8E

Price is close to the Woodpeckers thingy, but looks a lot more functional. And even more if it is "clampable" and "extendable", but I wouldn't know.

Eh. I really like most Woodpeckers stuff, but this just didn't do it for me.  A large good square can handle the task and do a lot of other things too.  MFT and Dogs do a good job for most stuff.  Somewhere I saw a square Anderson Plywood sells for 20 something dollars that would be nice to have.  I planned on grabbing that next time I drive by. 

I wish they would have re-run their large framing squares instead. I'd be all over that! 

I do have the 18" square on order... July seems so far away!