Dressing Table Build

h3nry

20 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

h3nry, I just went out to the shop and gave my bandsaw a hug and told it how much I appreciate it? that wood looks interesting. Looking forward to your build.

Ahmen!  I don't envy prepping the stock in that fashion but, hats off for sticking with it and making some sawdust!

1 minute ago, K Cooper said:

I applaud anyone with the dexterity and skills that can resaw a board with a handsaw! When doing so, do you have to ensure that you follow a line on both edges of the board throughout the entire cut?

No, the trick is to follow the line on just one side - then flip the board round and follow it on the other side and the saw will just ride in the kerf in the middle ... then repeat ... once I get so far down the board that I start cutting into the vise I flip the board upside down and start again from the other end, until the kerfs meet.

That said, it's still a pretty tedious job ... but marginally more fun than the gym session it replaces.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TIODS said:

Curious how you like that Veritas inset tail vise?

I love the Veritas inset vise ... but then I don't have much to comapre it to, my Bench is made from construction lumber and my face-vise is just pipe-clamps - the Veritas kit was a definite upgrade.

• Like 2

Just now, h3nry said:

I love the Veritas inset vise ... but then I don't have much to comapre it to, my Bench is made from construction lumber and my face-vise is just pipe-clamps - the Veritas kit was a definite upgrade.

I've been considering adding one to my OF/Assembly table..  Thanks for the response.

I'm glad you posted about that vise because i was going to ask about it as well. I'm in a state of transition and was thinking about getting it. I don't have the time to make a roubo and don't want to because i plan on moving in 1 year and 3 months.

Do you mind posting some pictures of your face vise as well. I have a construction lumber bench as well and would like to add something so I'm not using quick clamps for hand-tool work. My setup is miserable.

12 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Do you mind posting some pictures of your face vise as well. I have a construction lumber bench as well and would like to add something so I'm not using quick clamps for hand-tool work. My setup is miserable.

Two things I will say about my vise are:

1) It really doesn't get any simpler - it's just a piece of 2x6 with holes drilled through the apron for the pipes.

2) It does work like a vise ought to - but it racks horribly, so shims are sometimes required to manage the racking. But definitely better than quick-clamps.

vice_front.jpg

Looking from underneath the bench you can see the pipes - I can open this vice up to 20" if I could find a reason to. But there's only about 2" of travel on the screw part of the clamp, so to change the opening more than that requires sticking a hand up under the bench to adjust the back end of the clamp. It also serves as storage for two of my pipe-clamps.

vice_below.jpg

You can also see under the bench that my dog-holes are all reinforced with an extra piece of 2x4 glued/screwed on to give a full 3" thick bench-top and apron where the holes are.

While we're at it ... I have three types of holdfast. The small cast iron ones are essentially useless. The screw down ones work really well, although the handles occasionally get in the way of my knuckles when working. The Veritas holdfast is in a different class though, it's big, heavy, expensive and holds a workpiece down to the bench so tight an elephant couldn't move it - but most of the time it's over-kill so the other screw-down ones get used more.

holdfasts.jpg

• Like 1

Managed to get a few hours in during the week.

So it was time to start work on the panels for the back and sides.

I thought it would be easier to cut the rabbets and grooves for the frames before gluing up the panels.

This wood has horribly reversing grain directions. I'm now pretty much resigned to not getting too worked up about some tear-out on non-show surfaces. Still it seemed easier to hog out the bulk of the rabbets with a chisel, then finish them off with the rabbet plane taking just a light cut to minimize tear-out.

cutting rabbets:

cutting_rabbets.jpg

rabbets all cut:

rabbets_cut.jpg

side panels in clamps:

sidepanels_glued.jpg

• Like 2

I got all the tenons cut on the case parts:

more_tenons.jpg

But while I was cutting them - disaster! - well, hardly an oak tree crashing through my bedroom wall - but I had a glue-joint fail! I don't know what happened, glue joints never fail. None of the other joints failed so it probably isn't the glue having gone bad. Oh well, back into the clamps it goes.

glue_failed.jpg

But now I finally have to do what I've been putting off all along ... design the legs and cut out the leg blanks...

• Like 2