Dressing Table Build

h3nry

Thanks Steve and Dave, the great thing about working at my snails pace is that you all forget what I posted a month ago, and then make nice comments about it again - That's great!

So I cut some mouldings to go round the base - both sticks got ripped off the same board, but one of them had a horrible reaction and bent like a banana. I stuck the profile on it anyway. we'll see how bad it is after I've chopped it into 15" lengths - I've got quite a bit of spare length so I might be able to cut out the worst of the warped stuff. But this one might be a do over - I hate do overs.

P7315290.JPG

P7315291.JPG

Practice makes perfect but, I doubt I would ever get close to where you are now ;-)  If there is more curved carving in your future you might want to look into something a little more flexible to hold things with.  There are a variety.  For my limited needs this works well.

Parrot Vise (3).jpg

Parrot Vise (4).jpg

Parrot Vise (7).jpg

Thanks Gee, A vice like that does look like a good idea. I'll probably look into something like that next time. But I don't actually have any room at the end of my bench to mount it like that so the sticking out bit of the table-leg would probably still get in the way of the bench.

On 7/31/2016 at 9:59 AM, h3nry said:

Thanks Gee, A vice like that does look like a good idea. I'll probably look into something like that next time. But I don't actually have any room at the end of my bench to mount it like that so the sticking out bit of the table-leg would probably still get in the way of the bench.

That's why mine clamps into my twin-screw. It's only there when I need it.

1 minute ago, gee-dub said:

That's why mine clamps into my double-screw ?

So I see. But what I meant was, I have walls at both ends of my bench. If I clamped it onto my face-vice like that it would literally be sticking into the bathroom.

Just now, davewyo said:

Looks good to me! Good uniformity. How much time do you have into that strip?

Probably about 2 hours in that one strip, but I was definitely getting faster towards the end. I guess I know what I'm doing with my evenings this week.

2 minutes ago, h3nry said:

Probably about 2 hours in that one strip, but I was definitely getting faster towards the end. I guess I know what I'm doing with my evenings this week.

Nice! A couple of hours isn't unreasonable.

Like most carving, by the time you finish you'll really be able to bang them out, and you'll probably never do that particular task again. ;)

I understand about repetitive tasks like that. I cope with tasks like that by striving to get each step done efficiently & in a timely manner. Using the giant stopwatch app on my iPad a job that starts off taking close to 5 minutes gets closer to 2 1/2 minutes after 25-30 segments are done. Kind of racing the clock keeps me focused on quality and time.

Its always a joy to follow your projects, thanks for sharing !

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately this project is going to have to go on hold. Last week I got laid off from my job, and now I have to pack up and move back to Canada since without a contract my visa will expire in a short time. My house in Calgary still has tenants in it, so it will be a few months before there's any chance of starting up again ... and I don't think there's much work for me there at the moment anyway.

sorry guys, you'll just have to wait to see this finished.

But to add a serious question, does anyone know if Canada has any rules forbidding the importation of unfinished wood? I got given a serious interrogation by a customs agent in the US once, when I had something packed in a wooden crate without an import permit for raw lumber - I would be a bit disappointed if some over-zealous customs agent decided to burn this because he classified it as lumber not flat-pack furniture.

I can't answer your question but I'm saddened that your project is being put on hold. It was exciting to follow along. I hope that you manage to get it imported and can continue soon. i hope the move goes well and is as painless as possible for you.

Is it possible to put a sort of finish on the parts that could easily be removed once you make it home?