How to really deal with warping of boards when ripping smaller board off a large wide...

1 minute ago, Dolmetscher007 said:

Oh yeah. Festools is like the AllClad of the woodworking world. They are amazing I'm sure... but literally the most expensive of every tool they make. Could their random orbital sander REALLY be that much better than a Dewalt? Like... REALLY that much better?

Yep..  When combined with their dust collection, they are.  Again tho, that's not a "requirement", it's a "luxury"

I was in F & B for most of my life, and I can tell you... in that world it is nice to have a Japanese forge folded ninja chef's knife that costs $2,500. But believe me... the second you break that thing out in a professional kitchen, you'd better absolutely be the most dazzling chef the staff has ever seen. Otherwise, you will be goofed on behind your back for being a poser by even the dishwasher. 

Just now, Dolmetscher007 said:

I was in F & B for most of my life, and I can tell you... in that world it is nice to have a Japanese forge folded ninja chef's knife that costs $2,500. But believe me... the second you break that thing out in a professional kitchen, you'd better absolutely be the most dazzling chef the staff has ever seen. Otherwise, you will be goofed on behind your back for being a poser by even the dishwasher. 

Although the FT stuff is expensive, it doesn't come with that stigma.  Many of us here own some of the stuff and yet none of us here claim to be all than and a bag of chips when it comes to furniture building.  Don't get me wrong, there are (IMO) some great builders here but, you just won't find too many with that attitude.

Also, even tho it's expensive, it's not so expensive that you can't piece together a piece here and a piece there as you can afford it.  I also believe that you really don't appreciate it until you have some killer lumber on your bench and need your equipment to perform.

10 minutes ago, Dolmetscher007 said:

Oh yeah. Festools is like the AllClad of the woodworking world. They are amazing I'm sure... but literally the most expensive of every tool they make. Could their random orbital sander REALLY be that much better than a Dewalt? Like... REALLY that much better?

Oh yes, not all sander are alike. I have the Mirka Ceros. That thing can flat ass sand, there is no comparison.  Yep it's a luxury item, but was willing to lay out the green, I purchased the vac too. So glad I did. I have a basement workshop. I swear you can sand without a mask.

-Ace-

Everyone has given good advise, but maybe you should check out Woodfinder.com.  If you want to use construction lumber, buy 2x8 or 2x10's. Ripping these down to the size you need tend to be a bit more stable.  A lot of big box stores don't have a variety of hardwoods.  The ones by me offer poplar, red oak and sometimes you can find maple, but it will still be cheaper to find a dealer, even if you have to pay extra to have it milled properly.

Check craigslist too. You need to be careful with what you buy--we need a woodtalk wiki on uncle cletus--but i was just selling a crap ton of good lumber for 50% of retail value. It happens. In my case, I purchased a few thousand bdft at auction and needed to dump it fast for a profit. Maybe need to redefine "fast" as it took me 3 months to sell it all, i think. Still, i was selling FAS kiln dried material for great prices. 

Brandon nailed it, a lumberyard should murder the big box store's price on material. I cant remember the last time I was looking at lumber in a lowes, but i think their S4S red oak boards were like $50+ a board? Yikes. 

Have you been to all these places yet?

http://www.mcgeelumber.com/

http://www.wurthwoodgroup.com/Lumber-C1657.aspx

http://www.queencitylumber.com/lumber.php

Chances are, the price per actual board foot will be lower at these than and Home Depot, Lowe's, or Medards.

And even if you choose to go with construction grade lumber, a real lumber yard will have better quality stuff.  If you really can't find a local yard to sell smaller quantities, try http://www.bellforestproducts.com/

or http://hardwoodtogo.com/

for mail-order lumber. Beware of shipping costs - wood is heavy!

Awesome bench, by the way. Looks solid as stone!