Smoker/Grill

Coop

On 6/2/2016 at 8:59 PM, K Cooper said:

Cliff, "get it to temp" using what?

My smoker, because I use the minion method takes a while to work itself up to 225 degrees. So I go out and throw the first few already glowing coals in (I use a chimney to get them started) then open all the ports on it and wait. Once it hits 225, I put the meat on, insert my thermometer as fast as possible. Then I put the lid on and wait again for it to be 225. Honestly, you can just start with the meat on there and skip the initial wait. The important part is to have the vents wide open and as soon as it hits the desired temp I close two of the bottom vents, the third gets closed about halfway and the top remains completely open. 

Once that is done, I can basically walk away from the smoker until the coals die or get covered by ash. I mean, I usually add more stuff around the 5 hour mark because I know I don't have enough fuel to make it 20-22 hours. I really should get up around 4-5am and add more so I am sure to make it through the final hour or two but I never seem to. 

Anyway, this initial process takes about 1-1.5 hours. And keep in mind this is all after it's got itself a thick layer of grime in it that seals all the gaps and keeps it running at the right temp. Before that happens it's an entirely different smoker. 

16 hours ago, sjeff70 said:

Charcoal.  Got to keep adding charcoal.

I wasn't aware these were fairly high maintenance.  We have 4 dog handlers at work and 3 of them just bought Green Eggs after going to their peers' Green Egg BBQ.  He raved about how it replaced his kitchen and its easy of use. 

I've been told by egg users that the egg can get too moist inside and to put near finish products in the oven to 'dry them.' 

I don't think they are high maintenance, just more initial time because you can't just set the temp and go. My opinion anyway. Once you master it it's no problem at all. I often start it and baby it while I'm cooking dinner on the grill anyway. 

The best part is that you get into it at $400, and you get charcoal, which me and many others swear makes a better smoked meat. Plus, more smoke penetration, at least to my tongue. 

That's weird "too moist dry in oven" I have never heard of that. 

• Like 1

The big thing to remember with smoking and BBQing is that it is a very subjective sport both in the process and flavor.  I had a WSM and didn't really enjoy it, not that I didn't get good food off of it, just a chore when you had stuff on both grates. I now have a Lang stick burner and really enjoy it.  I also have a Weber kettle for turkeys and a weber gas grill that gets used damn near ever night.  It really is a "to each his own" thing.

• Like 1

My palate wouldn't be able to distinguish between cooks on different smokers.  I'm not interested in cooks lasting more than 5 hours so that may be the way to go. 

I leafed through Meathead: The Science Of Great Barbecue And Grilling today and he reviewed the different types of grills, he actually recommended the WSM in the smoker family, but his favorite was the Pit Barrel Cooker Package. His negatives with the ceramic smokers had to do with inconveniences similar to what Chet mentioned.  You have to buy the proprietary deflector plate to have the ability to create zoned heating areas (low temp side and high temp side) and there's some difficulty in moving stuff around when there's stuff on both grates. Seems you'd have that issue with the WSM as well. 

It's a good book by the way, he debunks several common grilling myths involving injections, wet vs. dry brining, etc. 

4 hours ago, Mike. said:

I am not gonna lie.  I have a weber natty gas grill and did a tri tip roast last night on indirect heat.  I have a basket that I put over the low direct heat and fill with soaked wood chips (in this case maple).  It was just as good as a 12 hr hardwood smoked brisket.  Most people confuse smoke with salt.  The real benefit of smoking meat is the 12-36 hr salt bath you give it before hand.  Don't get me wrong, I have a WSM and enjoy using it.  But don't confuse smoke for flavor and your flavor mostly comes from salt.   And take some advice from Mick and Keith.... a little brown sugar mixed with our salt makes your meat feel good too :)

I disagree completely, respectfully. For a couple of reasons - one I no longer put salt in my rub. Much because of the guy that @sjeff70 mentioned. I utilize Meathead's rub for my pulled pork and about a year ago he removed the salt from it. I did as well. Two, I can not only taste the smoke, and smell the smoke - I can tell you what wood you used. It's much harder with something mild like apple and cherry though. I can tell by smell that my friend at work upgraded to a Green Mountain just from the smoke smell that comes off his meat even though I'm a good 10 feet away. I taste confirmed that he was rockin it now after moving away from his old $100 walmart propane model. 

2 hours ago, sjeff70 said:

My palate wouldn't be able to distinguish between cooks on different smokers.  I'm not interested in cooks lasting more than 5 hours so that may be the way to go. 

I leafed through Meathead: The Science Of Great Barbecue And Grilling today and he reviewed the different types of grills, he actually recommended the WSM in the smoker family, but his favorite was the Pit Barrel Cooker Package. His negatives with the ceramic smokers had to do with inconveniences similar to what Chet mentioned.  You have to buy the proprietary deflector plate to have the ability to create zoned heating areas (low temp side and high temp side) and there's some difficulty in moving stuff around when there's stuff on both grates. Seems you'd have that issue with the WSM as well. 

It's a good book by the way, he debunks several common grilling myths involving injections, wet vs. dry brining, etc. 

Meathead is literally the only source a person really needs to make great meat. Sure Aaron Franklin and Barry Sorkin have great videos and I'll watch Alton Brown do any type of food - but Meathead is kinda the undisputed master of meat, especially smoked meat. I'm glad he mentions the WSM. That smoker wins competitions, it's amazing piece of equipment for only $400 (for expensive model.) And yeah I know smoking can be time consuming and such - but it's not a hobby for people that just want to bang out food fast, and mastering it can take a lifetime. Though I think mine is pretty good. A local upscale restaurant asked me to be a guest cook and make pulled pork. That was my personal lifetime achievement award. 

I personally don't do injections. No, wait, I take that back. I inject turkey. Whether I smoke it or put it in the oven. And I inject it with butter. It's literally the best turkey I've ever eaten. I've never noticed a difference between injection my pork with apple juice and leaving it alone. I've also never noticed a difference between putting the rub on 24 hours before the smoke and putting it on 15 minutes before. He's right, nothing but the salt penetrate really. 

• Like 2