Smoker/Grill

Coop

I assume that is a pellet smoker? I can't remember if all Traeger's are or not. I don't care for them. They are not bad, but you don't get the kind of smoke flavor like you do with my Weber Smokey Mountain. I have a few friends that own Traeger's. 

2 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

My "new boss" has one and swears by it. My concern is if the company goes out of business, what do you do for fuel? Kev, have you ever had to replace the screw mechanism?

The cool thing about them is that there's really only 3 parts in them and you can replace them yourself if needed.  I lost an igniter in my big one and changed it out in about 10 minutes.  Each of the parts really is plug and play.  Plus, Treager replaced the part for free even tho I was past the warranty.

As for fuel, food grade pellets have been around for many years so, you're not going to lose that supply.  There's many companies that make them.

We smoke a lot of game meat every year so, we actually have 4 smokers.  The Treager does just as well if not better than any of the others.  Plus, you can turn the heat up and grill all you want.  

We did ribeyes on it Friday night and they were awesome!

I have the Big Texas in my outdoor kitchen and I also have the travel version.  I take the travel version to hunting camp each year and use it in my travel trailer if/when we ever get that out.

• Like 2

I assume that is a pellet smoker? I can't remember if all Traeger's are or not. I don't care for them. They are not bad, but you don't get the kind of smoke flavor like you do with my Weber Smokey Mountain. I have a few friends that own Traeger's. 

This. They are incredibly convenient to use but not as much flavor as a WSM or regular pit. You can even get good Q from a Weber Kettle. Here is some product I am working on today in my Blue Performer. Going to pull it when done. My main rig is an offset but for small cooks this or the WSM are called into action.

Nicely marbled Choice Chuck Roasts from Costco.

474bd3d54223bf61ab0f181f1f3eed2d.jpg

Using Plowboys BBQ Bovine Bold rub and Butchers BBQ Prime Dust injection.

a43a70a7047808bc4669c4b9bf6802fb.jpg

Indirect in the Performer at about 275 with Stubbs briquettes and a few Oak Mojobricks for smoke. Here it is three hours in.

6ba91692ba41c821fb8e17ddfb5f7971.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

I will come BBQ for you in exchange for walnut slabs...

If you're willing to drive that far, I'll give you a couple and cook for YOU. Well, you probably don't want me cooking?. I have a couple more than I know what to do with.

2 minutes ago, TIODS said:

They're not cheap!

So I noticed

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cliff said:

You give me slabs, I will steal my friend's $1000 Traeger and give it to you.

It's a deal. I would say I'd meet you half way but then both of us would be transporting stolen goods across state lines?

1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

I'm a big green egg man myself.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I have 2 Big Green Eggs in a custom 7 ft solid teak table. The small one is a 30 year old Japanese version, big one is the ceramic version. I love to grill and smoke meat but I leave the shooting and dressing to someone else.

• Like 2

I have 2 Big Green Eggs in a custom 7 ft solid teak table. The small one is a 30 year old Japanese version, big one is the ceramic version. I love to grill and smoke meat but I leave the shooting and dressing to someone else.

I only have one xl no custom table.

You have any pictures of your setup?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I can take some.  I used up the leftover teak from several projects to build the table plus almost 200 solid brass screws twenty years ago. It has weathered to a silver gray but still as solid as when I built it. It only pays to use the best materials if you are looking at the really long view.

• Like 1