Smoker/Grill

Coop

13 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Has anyone tried the Traeger Cooker?

I have the Texas model, and use it year round, It's great!  The company's CS is outstanding, the controller went out on mine well after the warranty was gone I called, they overnighted a new one at no cost.  A couple of years ago I BBQ'd a 38lb whole pig for a super bowl party.  I don't use it for steaks, it doesn't get hot enough.  This is how I like my steak: 

So I use a very hot Weber grill, for a 1 1/2 thick ribeye, no more than 2 minutes on a side.:D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Just Bob said:

I have the Texas model, and use it year round, It's great!  The company's CS is outstanding, the controller went out on mine well after the warranty was gone I called, they overnighted a new one at no cost.  A couple of years ago I BBQ'd a 38lb whole pig for a super bowl party.  I don't use it for steaks, it doesn't get hot enough.  This is how I like my steak: 

So I use a very hot Weber grill, for a 1 1/2 thick ribeye, no more than 2 minutes on a side.:D

That video is hilarious! Now, what were you saying about the cooker;)

1 hour ago, sjeff70 said:

Product Details

Was just shopping for my first smoker and put this one in my Amazon Cart!  Very cool to see it mentioned here.  There's a forum dedicated to this smoker and on it are some great articles.

I'm on that forum as well. I've done a couple of the mods. I replaced the door, and the handle with the compression latch, also put the gasket on. I wanted to seal up the holes and get the automatic fan to control air flow but just haven't done it yet. 

I'm sure you've read it already, but be aware your first couple of cooks are going to be running way hotter than you want. First time I did ribs, when I took them out to wrap them, I left the lid off. Put everything back in and the temp spiked to over 400 degrees! It was a combination of letting too much air in and also the grime hadn't built up on the inside. Once that happens - you'll be hard pressed to get that thing over 270 degrees. It will stay 225-255 for about 12 or so hours on one load of charcoal.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Cliff said:

I'm on that forum as well. I've done a couple of the mods. I replaced the door, and the handle with the compression latch, also put the gasket on. I wanted to seal up the holes and get the automatic fan to control air flow but just haven't done it yet. 

I'm sure you've read it already, but be aware your first couple of cooks are going to be running way hotter than you want. First time I did ribs, when I took them out to wrap them, I left the lid off. Put everything back in and the temp spiked to over 400 degrees! It was a combination of letting too much air in and also the grime hadn't built up on the inside. Once that happens - you'll be hard pressed to get that thing over 270 degrees. It will stay 225-255 for about 12 or so hours on one load of charcoal.

Thanks for the reply Cliff.  Yep, I like those mods. First things first, got to make it mobile!  I've got to read through all those articles.  I'm familiar with most of the things you're talking about.  I'll break it in and practice before hosting the most awesomest BBQ.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Cliff.  Yep, I like those mods. First things first, got to make it mobile!  I've got to read through all those articles.  I'm familiar with most of the things you're talking about.  I'll break it in and practice before hosting the most awesomest BBQ.  

Look up "Minion Method" and use it in the WSM. They are great smokers!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Klappco said:

Look up "Minion Method" and use it in the WSM. They are great smokers!

I use minion method. I discovered the sweet spot for me was to get about 13-18 bricks going.

6 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Which model smoker is that? 

Weber Smokey Mountain. They come in a few sizes. I have the 22". It's a charcoal cooker.

Has anyone tried the Traeger Cooker?

Hey Coop. Haven't cooked on a Traeger, but have actually been researching pellet grills a lot lately. Traeger started the whole pellet grill thing, but haven't advanced as much as others from what I've read. Few other brands to check out are Green Mountain Grill for the cheaper side. A lot of people recommend Rec Tec as the best of the import pellet smokers. I've really want the Mak 2 Star General, but it's pricey. Check out pelletheads.com. They have a section for most of the major brands.

Green Mountains are sweet. My co-worker just got one and he is in love with it. He can adjust the temp from his phone at work I think. It's still a pellet smoker so it may get weaker than wanted smoke flavor (your mileage may vary) but they do make stainless steel tubes with holes on them on amazon for $25 each that you fill with pellets and light on fire. I think they are just called smoke tubes. Adds some extra to your cook. Or if you are like me, just use hickory and mesquite and you'll get plenty of smoke flavor. :)

8 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

The old 55 gal. Drum cooker I currently have can be controlled by phone. I call my wife and tell her to add more wood,

With the pellet cookers, can bits of real wood be added for more flavor?

I don't think so. As the pellets are both heat source and smoke. So with the Traegers, the actual fire is on the side completely separate. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

This old guy I knew as a kid used to smoke meat in an actual smokehouse. His smoke fuel was plain sawdust. I'm pretty sure he used Coop's remote control protocol.

A good friend that I grew up with recently retired to the hill country and had a smokehouse built from Austin stone. This guy has never used a screwdriver or hammer, much less owned one. 20 years from now, I would bet that the stone is as white as it is now. But he's got himself a neat looking smokehouse!

39 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

This old guy I knew as a kid used to smoke meat in an actual smokehouse. His smoke fuel was plain sawdust. I'm pretty sure he used Coop's remote control protocol.

If you climb into your way back machine you would find that before our government thought it would be  good idea to come up with rules that would make it harder to make good food this used to be pretty common.  When I was in apprentice school back in "72" we went to a sausage kitchen and even though they had had to modernize their smoking process you could still see the black marks on the floors of the smoke houses from their little sawdust fires.

3 minutes ago, Chet K. said:

If you climb into your way back machine you would find that before our government thought it would be  good idea to come up with rules that would make it harder to make good food this used to be pretty common.  When I was in apprentice school back in "72" we went to a sausage kitchen and even though they had had to modernize their smoking process you could still see the black marks on the floors of the smoke houses from their little sawdust fires.

It's not impossible to build a smoke house and there are still many of them around.  My neighbor and I actually thought about going in together and doing one but, the logistics just weren't right for either of us..

27 minutes ago, Mike. said:

I have done 20lbs of brisket and a few chickens (for the vegetarians) all at once

I bet they thought that was the best chicken they had ever had after the brisket juices dripped on the chicken all day during the cook. :P

9 hours ago, Mike. said:

I also have a weber smokey mountain.  its great for large parties because you can smoke a lot of meat at once.  I have done 20lbs of brisket and a few chickens (for the vegetarians) all at once.   at some point I will also get a pellet smoker or green egg, it would be nice to have something more hands off.   The WSM is kinda high maintenance, which is cool if you want to hang out and have a few beers but for a 10+ hour smoke it is a lot of work.  

I got my routine down to the initial thing to get it to temp and then 5 hours later i put in my charcoal to keep it going through the night. around hour 20 it's a race between 20lbs of pork shoulder and the coals going out.. so i sometimes gotta pull stuff out at 198 degrees and pop it in the oven for the final 6 degrees. 

18 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Cliff, "get it to temp" using what?

Charcoal.  Got to keep adding charcoal.

I wasn't aware these were fairly high maintenance.  We have 4 dog handlers at work and 3 of them just bought Green Eggs after going to their peers' Green Egg BBQ.  He raved about how it replaced his kitchen and its easy of use. 

I've been told by egg users that the egg can get too moist inside and to put near finish products in the oven to 'dry them.' 

• Like 1