Drawer slide and hinge quality

Brendon_t

Hola amigos, I'm in the planning stages of my next project being a built in closet system for my guest room for my work dress clothes. I'll have two hinged doors holding fairly heavy doors and 4 30" wide drawers. Normally I'd hit HD for supplies but after dropping $500 on mahogany ply,edge banding, and face frame material,that feels wrong. Is there a big difference between (what I assume to be junk) hinges and slides and another actual proper  brand I should be looking at? 

I used Hafele undermount soft-close slides recently on a couple projects. They are pretty good for the price, but not as good as the blum slides (basically the same install process).  I think if you shop around you can get the blums cheap enough that the price diff is negligible anyway.

You should get Mel to link to that place he bought his blum slides, the prices were better than I found in person.

Your problem is going to be the drawer width. Those Blum concealed slides are great up to 24" wide, maybe push it to 25 max. At 30 inches wide a lateral filing cabinet slide will work the best. KV 8500 or KV 8505. 150 lb capacity.  Accuride has an equivalent 4034. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Hola amigos, I'm in the planning stages of my next project being a built in closet system for my guest room for my work dress clothes. I'll have two hinged doors holding fairly heavy doors and 4 30" wide drawers. Normally I'd hit HD for supplies but after dropping $500 on mahogany ply,edge banding, and face frame material,that feels wrong. Is there a big difference between (what I assume to be junk) hinges and slides and another actual proper  brand I should be looking at? 

Are you going to do project build on this?  Please do, I have this in my immediate future and need ideas.

Conventional or concealed doesn't matter at all to me.  Hadn't really thought about it.  This built in will just be a secondary closet for me. 

I will take pictures along the way but irk be slow going, I'll most likely photo data dump a few times during the progress but I doubt it week be step by step as shop time is very rare for me the last few weeks.

• Like 1