Respirator/Dust Mask for Bearded Folk?

MisterDrow

As someone with a rather thick and full beard, I have obviously been having trouble locating a dust mask or respirator that is compatible with my face.

I've seen these... (and maybe this is my only viable option) https://www.amazon.com/Resp-O-Rator-Dust-Respirator-Model-JR-7/dp/B002KA0CMO

Any other solutions? And, no... shaving the beard is not an option!

There is no such thing as a conventional respirator that you wear on your face that will work for a beard. I don't have a beard, but if I did, I couldn't imagine using one like in your link.

Better to use one of those full face shield powered respirator. The provide a wash of filtered air down the user's face. Plus there is the added benefit of face & eye protection. I've never used one, but I bet the work well.

And I would never suggest you shave the beard.

• Like 1

That was what I was worried about. Any full-face models you would recommend? 

In the mean time, I'm using a 3M mask with replaceable filters. It SEEMS to be okay but I know there are particles that are still getting in there around the edges. Just trying to find a better solution. I knew I had to do something differently after having a bad reaction to some wood a couple months ago and got the 3M mask afterward.

There is just no such thing as a sealing mask that will work with a beard.  That's why most places with a respiratory policy require people to be clean shaven.  In a hobby shop, you're certainly free to do what ever you choose but, you also accept the risk.

I think what Drzaius is talking about is a full faced hood/shield that has a battery pack and offers some "blow by" ventilation.  I know there are some out there but, manufacturer names escape me at the moment.

I used to use a shop vac, but then found this reasonably priced pump.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/300266892943?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

:Put the pump near the output of an air conditioner, and it doesn't matter how hot it is.  The hood in the picture is a Tyvek "disposable" hood with attached hose, and about 40 feet of shop vac hose so the pump can sit in clear air.  The hood is attached to a belt to keep it from blowing off your head.

april182013_012.JPG

Well duh, I'm talking about how things will sneak past your ears, plus it makes it impossible to wear ear protection comfortably.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thought you were referring to hearing protection and I was making a joke....

...a very lame joke. :)

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just now, treeslayer said:

i hear you Kev, for 30 years i HAD to shave (fireman, hazmat, confined space) but not anymore, the only hazard here is my wife, she don't like it, but you know they are going to be mad about something anyway:D

Agree completely!  Trust me, when I'm off, so is my razor!