Respirator/Dust Mask for Bearded Folk?

MisterDrow

I own Resp-o-rator that I use when sanding at the lathe. I find it very helpful and effective. I'm fortunate in that I can breathe through my mouth only without using the nose clamps. When I take a break, I can simply pull the mouthpiece it and the device stays around my neck to be quickly replaced in my mouth when I resume.

I find it very useful and not as cumbersome as you might think.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Catching up on the responses this morning... you guys are hilarious! XD

In relation to @wtnhighlander's seeking clarification of which end, I'm a highland games athlete with a lot of Scottish ancestry and wear a kilt often. I can attest that you really don't need anything else down there.

I've purchased a cloth dust mask to use in the mean time... my hope is that with it being flexible it might form better around my face and catch more dust than my current mask does. I know it does not have a perfect seal but as a hobby woodworker I am hoping that it will be adequate until I can justify (read: fit into the household budget) buying a full-face mask.

15 hours ago, ormonddmd said:

I own Resp-o-rator that I use when sanding at the lathe. I find it very helpful and effective. I'm fortunate in that I can breathe through my mouth only without using the nose clamps. When I take a break, I can simply pull the mouthpiece it and the device stays around my neck to be quickly replaced in my mouth when I resume.

I find it very useful and not as cumbersome as you might think.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That's really good to know. I have yet to talk to anyone else who has used one and that is very encouraging. The price on them is quite a bit nicer than the full face shields, too. I understand the functionality/purpose is different but I'm mostly concerned about dust than fumes.

21 hours ago, treeslayer said:

i hear you Kev, for 30 years i HAD to shave (fireman, hazmat, confined space) but not anymore, the only hazard here is my wife, she don't like it, but you know they are going to be mad about something anyway:D

And with your beard as an easy target it should keep you from getting heat about all that other stuff you do to tick her off. B)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JosephThomas said:

I noticed that mask is rated at 70db, which seems awfully high to me for a mask. Does it seem loud to you?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

No not really. I'm not really aware of it. There is a gentle motor hum but normally I have ear plugs in as well. When I remove the plugs I can hear the shop music system even on low (ish) volume.

1 hour ago, BladeBurner said:

I just got a Triton PAPR respirator. Haven't used it yet, but I've had success with something similar in the past. 

Welcome to the forums BladeBurner!

For those that don't know, a PAPR is a Powered Air Purifying Respirator

• 2 weeks later...

It's all about the level of protection you're looking for, and the types of things you're looking to protect.

As you can see by my avatar, I have some experience...

I wear a 3M silicone face mask. With the Pancake N100 filters I feel like I'm probably sitting at a N97 level of protection. Basically that's better than the cloth dusk masks that provide N95 protection. I don't assume 100 percent filtration, but it's certainly better than a cloth mask cleanshaven.

When fiberglassing and wearing OV  filters I can say it's way better than no mask at all. Any vapor is obviously going to travel through the beard matrix just fine, so you can't assume full protection in that case.

Hobby woodworking just get a 3m mask, some N100 filters and call it a day. You'll live, and I doubt you'll see any poor health effects.

• Like 2

On 7/14/2016 at 11:49 PM, PlaneAndDestroy said:

It's all about the level of protection you're looking for, and the types of things you're looking to protect.

As you can see by my avatar, I have some experience...

I wear a 3M silicone face mask. With the Pancake N100 filters I feel like I'm probably sitting at a N97 level of protection. Basically that's better than the cloth dusk masks that provide N95 protection. I don't assume 100 percent filtration, but it's certainly better than a cloth mask cleanshaven.

When fiberglassing and wearing OV  filters I can say it's way better than no mask at all. Any vapor is obviously going to travel through the beard matrix just fine, so you can't assume full protection in that case.

Hobby woodworking just get a 3m mask, some N100 filters and call it a day. You'll live, and I doubt you'll see any poor health effects.

Good to know on that one. I've considered buying it a number of times and haven't. I think I will have to now.

• 5 months later...
On 6/29/2016 at 0:08 PM, MisterDrow said:

As someone with a rather thick and full beard, I have obviously been having trouble locating a dust mask or respirator that is compatible with my face.

I've seen these... (and maybe this is my only viable option) https://www.amazon.com/Resp-O-Rator-Dust-Respirator-Model-JR-7/dp/B002KA0CMO

Any other solutions? And, no... shaving the beard is not an option!

I literally think of it this way "my respirator is likely still doing the job for the dust" Now chemicals, and paints, thats a different story. But for the dust, Ive been known to throw a shop vac hose on it a time or two lol

for staining and painting I almost always wear my respirator with a door open and a fan sitting in front of the door pulling the air out

when i spray, i spray outside with my respirator on