Chopsticks

JosephThomas

Some of these questions are general ones about chopsticks, and some are specific to the 'chopstick master from BCTW'. Does anyone on here own that kit, or have experience with it?  I'm just looking to ask a few specific questions (but if anyone can give it a thumbs up or down about the kit, that would also be nice).

1. What are the dimensions of finished chopsticks? In the BCTW kit, 2 parts of the jig are labeled '2mm' and '5mm' but I can't figure out what that means. Also, how big are the blanks you should start with?
  2. Approx how long does it take to make a set? The videos (either with hand made jigs or the BCTW kit) make it look like it takes 5 minutes....I get that you're not planing much wood, but it looks too good to be true, so I wanted a first hand opinion.
  3. Is mineral oil the way to go for chopstick finish? Is there any finish that can withstand constant use (and dishwasher abuse) ?
  4. Any particular woods that  you guys prefer for chopsticks?
  5. Is buying a kit like the BCTW worth it, or should I take the time to make a jig?

Edit: I'm wondering also, if there is a good way to make them with powered tools to speed up the process instead of all by hand...not making hundreds, but might make a couple dozen for gifts, so I'm wondering if using a tapering jig with my stationary tools (bandsaw/TS/planer/drum sander) is worth considering...thoughts?

8 minutes ago, Chet K. said:

I use a fork, a big fork.

LOL Me too, usually.  But there's something about eating Chinese food with chopsticks that YES they do make it taste better.  I can't explain why and won't try to convince you, but I guess it's something about the way it adds authenticity to the meal...even though what we Americans think is Chinese food is not really Chinese food.  I imagine it's akin to some kind of placebo effect.  All I can tell you is I enjoy a greasy Chinese dinner more with those little sticks than with a fork.  And it does get easier to get food in your mouth with practice.  I can even get big piles of rice in my face with chopsticks now.

• Like 1

Hey guys this isn't the hijack thread, you can't just start talking about random stuff that's only tangentially related to my question... :)

So, no one has used that jig or a similar one, or made them a different way? I don't really care if you use them or understand them, just asking a woodworking question. Pretend I'm just asking how best to cut small pieces of wood with a long taper on all 4 faces.

7 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

I'm just asking how best to cut small pieces of wood with a long taper on all 4 faces.

Get the new BCTW thingy. It is really a great deal, especially if you are going to be using your tapered wood for eating food.

10 minutes ago, Llama said:

Get the new BCTW thingy. It is really a great deal, especially if you are going to be using your tapered wood for eating food.

I noticed there is a 'new-new' version that isn't out until the fall. Were you referring to that one or just the one that came out last year? I didn't think the difference was large, just wanted to check...

2 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

I noticed there is a 'new-new' version that isn't out until the fall. Were you referring to that one or just the one that came out last year? I didn't think the difference was large, just wanted to check...

yeah yeah, the new-new version... 

newer is better ;)  There is a video or explaining the difference of the new one. 

I had posted about it in the past. It's a fun little jig, you can make a set in about 5-7 minutes. BCTW is releasing a second revision of it soon. The sizing 2mm and 5mm is the tip size, so you can have different tapers. If I remember correctly, the size of the blanks is 6mm x 6mm x about 9 or 10 inches, I'd have to measure. I made some out of hard curly maple, cherry, walnut. The kit comes with a bunch of blanks, however I just made my own and run the stock through the drum sander go get the thickness I needed.

8 hours ago, Eric. said:

LOL  Yeah that sounds like Tom alright.

I talked you into a Tormek. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

I had posted about it in the past. It's a fun little jig, you can make a set in about 5-7 minutes. BCTW is releasing a second revision of it soon. The sizing 2mm and 5mm is the tip size, so you can have different tapers. If I remember correctly, the size of the blanks is 6mm x 6mm x about 9 or 10 inches, I'd have to measure. I made some out of hard curly maple, cherry, walnut. The kit comes with a bunch of blanks, however I just made my own and run the stock through the drum sander go get the thickness I needed.

I talked you into a Tormek. 

This was very very helpful, thanks Tom.  I will probably get one, if the sizes you listed seem close enough to what I need.

I held off ordering the first time, but broke down and placed an order for the new version.

Mineral oil will work fine, but never put them, or any wooden utinsel in the dish washer, even if the manufacturer says you can.

Chopsticks make eating Chinese food fun and are easy to learn to use. I do find it hard to believe that in 2016 people are still making jokes about the ingredients in Chinese food.

3 minutes ago, Barron said:

I held off ordering the first time, but broke down and placed an order for the new version.

Mineral oil will work fine, but never put them, or any wooden utinsel in the dish washer, even if the manufacturer says you can.

Chopsticks make eating Chinese food fun and are easy to learn to use. I do find it hard to believe that in 2016 people are still making jokes about the ingredients in Chinese food.

Sadly I bought it when it was relatively new. Now that there is a version 2, version 1 that is still in stock is $100 cheaper. Oh well. 

4 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

Hey guys this isn't the hijack thread, you can't just start talking about random stuff that's only tangentially related to my question... :)

So, no one has used that jig or a similar one, or made them a different way? I don't really care if you use them or understand them, just asking a woodworking question. Pretend I'm just asking how best to cut small pieces of wood with a long taper on all 4 faces.

You mean like in the shape of chopsticks? I never have been able to use those darn things. Except if I leave them welded together like they come in the package and use them like tweezers. 

5 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

You mean like in the shape of chopsticks? I never have been able to use those darn things. Except if I leave them welded together like they come in the package and use them like tweezers. 

There are other uses for chopsticks, you know... I was about to suggest one of them to the OP but let's just leave it at that.