Wood shop child safety

chrisphr

I've got two 6yos and a 5yo. To date they haven't shown any interest in "exploring " the garage shop other than picking up scrap pieces and playing with piles of sawdust, but since their outdoor toys are in the garage they do have access.

I leave all my tools unplugged and sharp stuff put away when I'm done working but wanted to poll the group on what child safety precautions you take? Also, what "rules" or discussion points have you had with your kids to get across playing in the garage/with tools is a bad idea?

It sounds like you have taken good precautions.  About a million years ago when my kids were that age we just talked with them about not playing with anything in the garage that belonged to daddy because if they did they might hurt them selves... I guess it worked, they are both still alive.

My kids know that if a machine is running not to open the door or if the door is open not to bother me. I only had to tell them once, everyone else on the other hand seems to think that is the time they should walk up for a chat.

I've been very lucky... My kids tend to follow instructions when it involves safety. Goes for everything in my shop, they know not to mess with my things. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chet K. said:

we just talked with them about not playing with anything in the garage that belonged to daddy because if they did they might hurt them selves.

That doesn't always work.

Not so long ago with a borrowed older truck ... the 10 year old kid with me had never seen a cigarette lighter in the socket before and asked what it was ... so I explained it to him ... and told him not to play with it or he'd burn himself ... About 5 minutes later after I'd gone into the house there was a scream from outside, and he came running in with a burn on his finger ... Some kids have to learn the hard way.

when my children were younger they expressed interests in building things, this was about the age groups you all are talking about,  I simply started them using simple tools, under supervision, like hammers, screwdrivers, and even a hand saw, mind when I grew up I was given a tool set that now days would dive Protective services over the edge, it consists of the a hand saw, a hand drill (looks like hand crank egg beater) square, screw drivers, and a ruler. These are the same tools I let my kids work with, I would cut out the pieces and they would assemble them, over time they started to work some power tools under supervision, Teaching them to understand and respect the tools was the goal,   

• Like 2

Thanks everyone, sounds like I was already on the right track. Both a noob at woodworking and at parenting kids so it was good to get the confirmation. Mike, I think there is something to the noise of power tools, when I was a kid I was naturally scared of them because of the noise, I think mine are the same way. When the get older, can introduce some basic tools to get used to using them. Ncfowler, thanks for the memory, I remember having an egg beater drill as my "starter" drill when I was a kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk