How to fill worm holes?

Rob Hamilton

Hey all, hoping I can get some advice from some more seasoned members here.

I'm finishing two 4' x 10' Ambrosia maple table tops for my wife's art studio. On each surface, there are hundreds of tiny worm holes that need to be filled prior to finishing (see pic).  My first thought was to fill them with epoxy using a syringe... but there are sooo many holes.  Is this still the best route to go or is there an easier solution (wood filler, etc)?  The tables will be finished with Arm-R-Seal.

Thanks in advance!

Rob

IMG_7980.JPG

Rob, You could use a squeegee to apply the epoxy to speed the application up, but then you would have a much greater area to have to sand. Regardless of how you apply it, the epoxy will require a couple of applications due to the fact that it will seep into the holes and be below the surface the first app. Would like to see pics of the finished tables. Good luck!

• Like 1

Epoxy, use a heat gun to make it runny. I use powdered tint to make it black for knots. This stuff specifically:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/857083/stick-fast-black-powder-dye-for-stabilizing-resin.aspx

Using a heat gun not only makes the tint darker (blacker?) but also it becomes looser under heat so its easier to get more in and bubbles are more likely to pop. Worked great for me.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Just to clarify - we did choose this wood because of the look the imperfections provide. However, because these tables are being used in an art studio, where students may be drawing on tracing paper etc, It’s not practical to leave the holes as is – a flat surface is needed.
I decided to use TimberMate (as per davewyo's suggestion) Walnut color + black food coloring to fill the holes while still keeping the rustic look (they basically look the same as before, now flush with the rest of the surface). Thinning with the food coloring made it easier to fill each hole & it was easy to sand vs using epoxy.
I’ll post a pic of the final project when done.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I am using planks from my barn to make a table.  Full of tiny worm holes.  I have been using a copper tinted epoxy and a squeegee to fill the holes.  2 coats and it still needs more.  I was wondering if you found a good solution.  Either thinning the epoxy or using heat.