Oneida Mini Gorilla?

sjm1580

5 minutes ago, sjm1580 said:

Like Ben has said, this Oneida offering looks like the best fit for my situation. 

http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=XXVM030139H35VP&CatId={883C6AA7-4C85-49FD-9EEA-C51D09DC8B19}

Thanks for all the time and help!

Steve

If you end up going that route, I suggest upgrading to the steel drum with the rolling cart and the leg riser kit for the stand. I did that and ended up being very convenient. Also, dont bother with their Filter Efficiency Gauge or Dust Level Bin Sensor, you can make the same thing they sell yourself for a fraction of the cost. I did a tutorial on both here: LINK and LINK.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ben_r_ said:

If you end up going that route, I suggest upgrading to the steel drum with the rolling cart and the leg riser kit for the stand. I did that and ended up being very convenient. Also, dont bother with their Filter Efficiency Gauge or Dust Level Bin Sensor, you can make the same thing they sell yourself for a fraction of the cost. I did a tutorial on both here: LINK and LINK.

Will do, by the way what is your overall height?  The ceiling height in my garage is 9 feet?

1 hour ago, ben_r_ said:

Ah, yes that does make more sense. Going larger than the inlet port size isnt beneficial and at some point can start to cause airflow problems. One thing to note though that I have found with many of the popular lower priced dust collectors that have 2-3 4" ports on them, you can usually pop that 4" splitter off and find that there is a 6" port under it. Now if using that unit as just a motor and impeller hooked to a cyclone such as something like the Super Dust Deputy I think it that case it would be more beneficial to go with the larger port size offered by removing them splitter if you have that kind of dust collector motor.

My Laguna came with a 6" port with a double 4" wye attached.  Since I needed to go 2 directions, I left the wye on and use 4" ducting.

One the small end of the scale......Actually I have "bent  the rules a little" and gotten away with it. My table mounted router has a 1 1/4" port and my router fence has a 1 1/2" port.  I open both at the same time and the combination works very well with one above the table and one inside the cabinet. 

On 10/30/2016 at 9:31 AM, bleedinblue said:

".... The Penn State cyclones are well reviewed but everyone seems to have the same complaint that they are too loud.  They are close to the $1k range though and have 3 HP models."

I was at the Penn State showroom during one of my trips. They had the 2.5HP unit in their display area and fired it up for me. I wasn't any louder than my 2HP single stage Seco DC, about 75 db. We.were able to easily hold a conversation with it running.

As to ducting, I have 4" ABS plastic pipe connecting my tools to my 2 HP DC with runs up to 30 ft without problems. Smooth plastic pipe has less loss than flex hose, so direct connections shouldn't be an issue, even at 1 1/2 HP.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sjm1580 said:

I have looked at the V systems from Oneida and the footprints are on the large size (32.5" x 47").  Does anyone know of a quality system in the 2-3hp range with a smaller footprint?

Thanks!

Huh when I was researching what dust collection system to go with my findings were that the V series was one of the smaller footprints for a larger cyclone, 3HP, good sized HEPA filter and 35 gallon dust bin. Id be interested to see a system that was significantly smaller and what they might have sacrificed to get there.

2 hours ago, ben_r_ said:

Huh when I was researching what dust collection system to go with my findings were that the V series was one of the smaller footprints for a larger cyclone, 3HP, good sized HEPA filter and 35 gallon dust bin. Id be interested to see a system that was significantly smaller and what they might have sacrificed to get there.

Spotted this Jet system which has a smaller footprint (about 7 inches in width) which would be a big factor for me.  Comes with a 5 year warranty, looks like it might be a good option for me.  Kind of new, but the few reviews I could find were pretty good.

http://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/jcdc-2-cyclone-dust-collector-2hp-230v/717520

Would greatly appreciate any thoughts. This purchase is a big one for my shop so I'm trying to gather all the info I can before pulling the trigger.

Thanks!

Steve

9 hours ago, sjm1580 said:

Spotted this Jet system which has a smaller footprint (about 7 inches in width) which would be a big factor for me.  Comes with a 5 year warranty, looks like it might be a good option for me.  Kind of new, but the few reviews I could find were pretty good.

http://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/jcdc-2-cyclone-dust-collector-2hp-230v/717520

Would greatly appreciate any thoughts. This purchase is a big one for my shop so I'm trying to gather all the info I can before pulling the trigger.

Thanks!

Steve

I've seen that jet in person and while it looks ok the bin is tiny on it. Running a jointer or a planer to it would mean emptying multiple times per large project.

6 minutes ago, sjm1580 said:

Set aside the size of the bin, did you like the machine overall? 

Thanks!

I just looked at it on the showroom floor it looks like it's as well made as any jet tool which is fairly decent. I can't help but thinking that 2hp is small for your shop. i find it hard to believe that 7" is the difference between make or break in a shop that's 15x24. If it were me I'd pony up the 600$ for the CV1800 http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/cv1800-series/23-cv1800-lh-single-phase-with-filters.html.

the footprint of the cv1800 is 22 x 52 vs 26 x 50 for the jet so it's footprint is smaller at the cost of vertical height.

38 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I just looked at it on the showroom floor it looks like it's as well made as any jet tool which is fairly decent. I can't help but thinking that 2hp is small for your shop. i find it hard to believe that 7" is the difference between make or break in a shop that's 15x24. If it were me I'd pony up the 600$ for the CV1800 http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/cv1800-series/23-cv1800-lh-single-phase-with-filters.html.

the footprint of the cv1800 is 22 x 52 vs 26 x 50 for the jet so it's footprint is smaller at the cost of vertical height.

The 7inches isn't make or break but I would sure like to have it if possible.  I use this space also to park a rarely used vehicle in and pull it out when using the shop.  The CV looks great that's for sure.  Although by the time you buy a canister the additional cost would certainly be a lot more than $600.  

Just wondering if the Jet would come close to these units in performance?

3 minutes ago, sjm1580 said:

Although by the time you buy a canister the additional cost would certainly be a lot more than $600.  

Just wondering if the Jet would come close to these units in performance?

The steel collection drum? If you were patient enough and resourceful you could probably get one for free from a local farmer/buisness ect.

I don't think the jet would be near the performance 2hp vs 5hp.