Breaking down sheet goods setup

bushwacked

I use a tracksaw in conjunction with my knock down saw horses.

see my project journal here for plans

It is big enough to cut up and support any 8 x 4 sheet or 5 foot square sheet goods. It's only a couple of feet off the ground but is the perfect height to prevent back injury from lifting sheets onto it and using a track saw is accessible from all around.

Cutting up sheet goods on a sheet of polystyrene or insulation on the floor is back breaking and not my idea of fun.

• Like 1

Yeah, I am not sure why foam needs to be on the floor. That seems to be making associations that were not necessarily my only intent. Foam at 2" is light, easy to port, and provides good support over surfaces that should not see a blade cut. Often my foam is leftovers that are 6" wide and can be moved to not get cut just like stud bracing. Just use good judgement. It does not need to be full sheets of foam on the floor. If you do use the floor, just mark those pieces with an up and a down. Even non floors can have things on them push into foam at times. 

Legit jealous of anyone who has room in their shop to break down full sheets of ply on their floor.

I have a Centipede XL, which except for my yard not being level works pretty well. Either a couple 2x4s or a thinner sheet of pink foam board does the job.

I was thinking about building a table out of PT that would offset the pitch in the yard, or just waiting until I can do a patio for my new shop.

19 hours ago, AJ_Engineer said:

I use a 4x8 sheet of 1/2" foam I split into quarters, so I will stack the two quarters together for 1" of foam thickness. I should have just went with a 1" thick foam but that's what I have.

That's a good idea.  Cutting the 4 x 8 sheet of foam into two would make storage easier, and that should not overly complicate setting up the cut.  

Of course now I have to figure out how to break down a 2 inch thick 4 x 8 sheet of foam without getting another sheet of foam to set it on.  ;)

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

That's a good idea.  Cutting the 4 x 8 sheet of foam into two would make storage easier, and that should not overly complicate setting up the cut.  

Of course now I have to figure out how to break down a 2 inch thick 4 x 8 sheet of foam without getting another sheet of foam to set it on.  ;)

Score with a utility knife and snap it.

Or build a CNC to cut it...

For full 4x8 sheets, I break up on the floor using 2x4's. 

Anything smaller and I use this setup. Interlocking 2x4's that I can break down quickly and don't take a lot of storage space. I just broke up some 5x5 BB sheets using this setup. 

I've realized that for me comfort is a BIG part of safety. If I'm not in a comfortable position (like down on the ground), I start thinking about my sore legs and back and lose focus on the cut. 

IMG_1147.JPG

• Like 2