Breaking down sheet goods setup

bushwacked

I have been thinking of trying the foam route but am concerned about storing it when not in use. Even (2) 4'x4' pieces of 2" foam would be hard to store out of the way in my shop.

My usual method is 2x4. I have (4) 2"x4"x 4' pieces that I space out and shift around under the sheet good depending on how I'm cutting it up. It stores easily which is important. I used to use strips of ply but they don't hold up as well after numerous cuts on them. 

• Like 2

I had the lumber yard cut my plywood for me.  Don't remember how much, but I thought the price was reasonable and they cut it to my specifications, very accurately.  

I have since bought a 4 x 8 sheet of foam board which is very awkwardly stored in my shop waiting for the next plywood project.  

I have to admit, though, I am a little curious.  If breathing sawdust is bad for you how much better can it be when it's mixed with foam insulation dust.  

34 minutes ago,  wtnhighlander said: 

Kneeling in the driveway ain't as easy as it used to be. Or maybe its the getting back up part ...

I should have been more clear in my post also. I break the sheet down on the 2x4s with it laying across my runoff table and table saw. I don't have floor space in the shop to break a 4x8 down on the floor. Also it's easier for me to do it at a decent working height.

I guess just because I been doing it on the saw for years its best I dont say it..  I agree it could be dangerous also.  Sorry.   Its just alot more easy for me but I dont no how much longer I can do It .

I can break down the sheets if I am ripping 8' it's when I get to the cross cuts on an 8' I have issues with since my saws fence doesn't give me much more than 32" to the right of the blade

• Like 2

I know the feeling bud! I gave it up a couple of years ago. I don't have an outfeed table, nor room for one. Being Mr. Macho,. I decided my sub-standard outfeed stands would suffice, I ran it thru without an aide and the happenings could have been worse. Just be aware be of your surroundings and your capabilities! 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, bushwacked said:

I can break down the sheets if I am ripping 8' it's when I get to the cross cuts on an 8' I have issues with since my saws fence doesn't give me much more than 32" to the right of the blade

I see.  I would never tell someone to cross cut a full sheet on the table saw.  That can go bad fast. I know first hand.  The projects I do can almost always be ripped first.

I see.  I would never tell someone to cross cut a full sheet on the table saw.  That can go bad fast. I no first hand.  The projects I do can almost always be ripped first.

Haha. Ya I never do unless it fits on my crosscut sled. I normally take a jigsaw or handsaw and just cut wide and then clean up on the tablesaw. I'm just tired of wasting wood on that process.

• Like 1

I use a 4x8 sheet of 1/2" foam I split into quarters, so I will stack the two quarters together for 1" of foam thickness. I should have just went with a 1" thick foam but that's what I have.

With my circular saw I made two poor-mans tracks out of MDF. One is 5' long and one 8' long. I have the shorter one because I damaged the first one I made on the end. A wide solid piece with some self adhesive rubber strip on the bottom and a narrower piece glued & screwed into the bottom. The narrow top piece acts as my fence and is wide enough for the saw motor to pass with a f-style clamp attaching the track to the plywood since the rubber doesn't really prevent sliding, it's not sticky enough.

For as often as I use sheet goods the foam board is cheap and lasts and lasts.  I am still using the original 2' x 4' pieces I bought a decade ago.

foamboard-sheetgoods-001.jpg

Silly me, I thought they were "wearing out" so I bought a few more.  Three is generally enough for any full sheet work; two to support the main blank and one to catch the keeper.  I have three that have never been used and just stay in my way waiting for the original pieces to finally weear out ;-)