Planer Recommendations

Marmotjr

The DW 735 is the de facto standard for lunchbox planers.  Dad has run one for about a decade and its great.  Probably not the planer your looking for according to your opening post (sorry I didn't read the whole thread so if I'm off base, have me shot).

You mention wanting it to fit on a shelf. For a 180 pounder like myself, moving this thing around without a stand is not something I would want to do as a matter of course in getting ready to plane some material.  It weighs every bit of 90 pounds and takes a wide grip both ways.

The DW 734 is also a 3 knife planer.  It lacks the lower speed of the DW735 (179 cuts per inch versus 96 for the DW734 and the high speed of the DW735) but, has a carriage lock that the Delta lacks.  The Delta is affectionately known as the "Snipe-Master" as it is near-impossible to adjust the snipe out of it due to the absence of a carriage lock on this format of a machine.

The DW735 does not have a carriage lock but, its format does not require one.  You can adjust the snipe out of it easily with the infeed and outfeed tables (optional).  The same is true for the DW734.  My DW 734 knives last much longer than the DW735 knives but, that is old news.  Either knife-set is adequate cost-wise for the hobbyist to replace as needed.

The DW 734 is only a few pounds lighter than the DW735 but, for muscling it on and off a shelf the DW734 just seemed more manageable in real life.  Dad and I both gave up the fight and went to fixed tool stands for these machines.  I would foresee you doing the same in short order unless you're a stout sort of guy who thinks a 90 pound sack of cement is easily maneuverable.  Like I said, I'm just a little guy so I see things from that perspective ;-)

Given that the planer will probably end up on a tool stand anyway, I would also recommend the DW735 BUT, get the optional infeed and outfeed tables or your next post will be about snipe. ;-)

• Like 1

I don't have the tables on my 735 - you can minimize snipe with your feed technique (or with a drum sander and/or cross cut sled :). 

I don't think a byrd head is necessary on a lunchbox planer and, after using one on my jointer for the past two years, I think they are a little overrated in general. 

3 minutes ago, Mike. said:

I don't think a byrd head is necessary on a lunchbox planer and, after using one on my jointer for the past two years, I think they are a little overrated in general. 

I agree it's not necessary....but it is a nice upgrade. I put one in my 735 and the issue of grain direction just goes away, as well as any concerns about dull knives.  The carbide cutters last a looooong time.

Another 735 user here. I got the 735X package with the infeed/outfeed tables and a spare set of knives.

It is heavy and I do store mine on the shelf. One of those things where you really need to pick up the cords and any other tripping hazards when you move it. I clamp it down to one side of my assembly table to use it. No snipe if I watch my outfeed technique or use roller stands set at the correct height.

26 minutes ago, Jfitz said:

I agree it's not necessary....but it is a nice upgrade. I put one in my 735 and the issue of grain direction just goes away, as well as any concerns about dull knives.  The carbide cutters last a looooong time.

Like I said - I think it is a little overrated.

1) Yes, the cutters last longer, but when one dulls you absolutely need to rotate every single cutter to get a good finish.  That takes a long time.

2) With sharp knives and slow speed, I have planed figured maple with no problem.

3) It takes like 10 minutes to change out the knives on the 735.  It would take at least an hour to rotate all the cutters. 

This comes from experience - I have had the byrd head on my jointer for two years now and, in hindsight, I don't think it was worth the upgrade $.  

31 minutes ago, Mike. said:

I don't have the tables on my 735 - you can minimize snipe with your feed technique (or with a drum sander and/or cross cut sled :). 

Agreed, the only benefit ive noticed is the lifespan of carbide. HSS knives give a much better finish. I also dont buy into the "feed any direction you want!". Nope, you still get tearout with a byrd. Also, dont be such a baboon and learn how to read grain direction. I liked the 735 a lot, but i never once considered dropping the coin, time, and effort to put in a byrd. Now that i have a 20" byrd, im even happier i didnt do it.