My first Festool sander. Help me choose.

Bulldog

Based on advice received here, my Christmas gift is supposed to be a Festool CT26. I am thinking it might be nice to get a sander as well. What should I get?  

I am a lucky dude that has free access to my buddies shop. He has a big wide belt sander that  is nice to use. I haven't built that much stuff, so I am not sure what the best sander for me to get is. I'm still a newb, so the stroke and stuff doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I was thinking about one of those ROS 150/3 refurbished. But maybe a new 150/5 sander would be better. What about a Rotex? 

I don't produce a lot of projects and don't see that changing for the next 20 years. Most of my projects will be wall cabinet to office desk sized. 

Any and all advice is welcome. 

2 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Ets EC 150/5. Amazing sander.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, estesbubba said:

ETS 150/5 and you can get the CT26 for 10% off with it. 

2 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

What he said.  Loads of power, immediate pad stop, great collection,  low profile. It leaves me wanting nothing

What they said up there... ^^^^^^^^

I absolutely love mine.  Gets used pretty much on every project.  And makes using a 5" feel like using regular hand sandpaper..

I love my ETS 150/5, it stays connected to my CT26 and is a permanent fixture on my bench. It is probably my single most used tool. I can't say I fully understand the practical difference between the 150/5 and the 150/3. To me you are sanding away scratch marks as you go higher in grits and I can't see how stroke size affects the finish. Hand sanding has quite a long stroke length and seems to have work for many people. However I do like the faster rough removal speed of the 150/5. 

as I understand it....

125 line are 5" sanders

150 line are 6" sanders

/3 and /5 indicate the size of the stroke in mm.  /5 will remove material faster and is for lifght to intermediate sanding, and /3 is for  fine and extra fine sanding.  I think if you had to pick one, it's totally user preference.  With the right grits I could see either doing a fantastic job.

One think to look at would be the EC line versus the "older" line.  It looks to me like the EC line is lower profile, and has a brushless motor.  I don't have any Festool, but have been considering a new sander and if pushed to choose I'd go with the EC 150/3.