Hello from Eastern Idaho

Idaho Andy

Hey Guys...  Here's a big Hello from Yellowstone country.  The shop is up and running well... unfortunately my closest wood supplier is 75 miles away and the closest quality supplier of good hardwood is 4.5 or 5 hour drive from here. But it's not a bad price to pay for living here. Anyway...  I was wondering if there are any other active woodworkers in the Eastern Idaho area, it would be nice to be able to know some of the local makers.

Cheers to all...

• Like 1

Hi, Andy.

I'm way the heck over in Central Idaho.  My good friend, hockey playing friend, Targhee cat driver... lives in Victor.  He's a pretty fair woodworker himself (better than me, spends less time chatting about it, more time doing it.)

You might develop an interest in softwoods and slabs to go with back country skiing and mountain biking ( both of which will help you identify wood to harvest for your wood stove or your bandsaw.)

Not a total eclipse, no.... there was a partial up here several years ago, what was amazing was that all the pine needles on the trees created thousands of pinhole cameras as the partial eclipse proceeded and you could watch the eclipse in thousands of small images in the side of the shop and house.... it was VERY cool!!!

1 minute ago, Idaho Andy said:

Not a total eclipse, no.... there was a partial up here several years ago, what was amazing was that all the pine needles on the trees created thousands of pinhole cameras as the partial eclipse proceeded and you could watch the eclipse in thousands of small images in the side of the shop and house.... it was VERY cool!!!

I was fortunate enough to see the total eclipse of July 11, 1991 in Guadalajara. Totality for over 5 1/2 minutes and the most central eclipse in over 800 years, not to be exceeded for another 800, with the greatest magnitude of any eclipse since the 6th century. The term "awe-inspiring" doesn't do it justice. The Mexican gov't did a fantastic job of preparing with Mylar glasses, etc. I witnessed it at the Guadalajara airport, having just landed. There were thousands of people in the parking lot. At the moment of totality there were about 2 seconds of deafening silence, followed by the most tremendously spontaneous eruption of joy I've ever heard. Goosebumps 26 years later!

Eclipse_CR_1991_a_zoom.jpg

• Like 2

WOW... way cool.... My son is a meteorologist for the USWS, he's planning on coming up from AZ for it as well.  We're pretty excited... we're we are we should have about 3 min of totality, more to the south.  We're just hoping the fire season stays under control, to keep smoke levels down.