Hickory Smells Like Manure?

DruBokkens

Have you guys experienced a strong sour smell on hickory, basically identical to manure? I have several slabs of Shagbark, Bitternut and Pignut, and only the Pignut displays this thrilling quality. I should note it's in the heartwood only, so I wonder is it normal, or does it signify undesired transformations within the wood?

I've read somewhere that someone had a similar experience, but no details were provided or conclusions made. I got the wood from a family-owned mill and all of it seemed dry. One thing I can see is that the heartwood has dark outlines where layers are cut through, as if there's a dark grey layer between the rings but I don't know that much about it.

As a city boy, when ever I do get a chance to visit a place that has cows, I think the smell of cow manure is refreshing and country fresh. When I buy the bagged stuff for my garden, I will tear open a bag and if doesn't smell like manure, I don't buy it. And no, it's not a poop fetish;)! I also like working with hickory and pecan. 

5 hours ago, K Cooper said:

As a city boy, when ever I do get a chance to visit a place that has cows, I think the smell of cow manure is refreshing and country fresh. When I buy the bagged stuff for my garden, I will tear open a bag and if doesn't smell like manure, I don't buy it. And no, it's not a poop fetish;)! I also like working with hickory and pecan. 

:huh:

Next time you want "country smell", go drive by a chicken farm. 

2 hours ago, Marmotjr said:

:huh:

Next time you want "country smell", go drive by a chicken farm. 

I've been around all of them all of my life. Hogs are the worst.

9 hours ago, Eric. said:

You sure it's not red oak?

9 hours ago, Lester Burnham said:

Red oak is cat pee, not moo doo.

I worked in a sawmill for 5 years. I don't remember hickory smelling bad, but we cut plenty of pi** oak.

Has the same hardness as the rest of it. I wonder what could it be, then, from the tree growth point of view. Looks interesting, thanks to the fact that the board has a very rapidly increasing runout towards the end seen as getting darker, on the pictures. Maybe it was closer to the basis of the trunk.