Building in a miter/chop saw?

Da Hammer

I come seeking advice....

I am building out my shop cabinets right now and in my mind all along I had planned recessing an area for a chop saw/miter saw in the length of the counter top.  The idea was to recess where the table was flush with the rest of the counter top so that I could use the built cabinet/counter top as an infeed/outfeed table with fence extensions on the counter top.  

I have drawn all of this up in my mind and on paper and it all worked great up until I picked up my Dewalt 780 yesterday and took it out of the box to begin building it's permanent place.  The foot print of the saw just doesn't work with what I want to do.  My measurements indicate it needs about 43" of depth to sit in the counter area, but my counter top is only 25" deep.  I am fine building it's stand deeper/wider but then that gives me fence issues.  The fence on the saw sits about 23" from the rear wall so putting a permanent fence on the counter top takes away all of my counter.  

Right now I am thinking that for my needs I need to return the Dewalt and buy a chop saw with a smaller footprint.  How have you all tackled this issue? I know I can't be the only one wanting to build a permanent place in their shop for a saw?  If you all don't see an error in my thinking do you have any suggestions for a smaller footprint saw?

Hope that makes sense to you all I am from Louisiana so I am a little backwards thinking at times...

It sounds like you want to do something like this.

toolwall.JPG

If so, I would get a different saw.  Mine is the 12" Bosch, with the articulating arm thing, they make a 10".  I had that Dewalt in a different shop, but it took up way too much space.  My counters are 25" deep.  The extended fences are on T track and move out of the way or I can easily stow them if I need to. 

This wall  is dedicated to my miter saw and router table which is also built in, the counter is 21' long and it is great for breaking down wood and storing stuff underneath.

@Da Hammer I have that saw as well and have the same plans as you (someday). What I had thought of was "sacrificing" the ~18" (I think) from the face of the fence to the tip of the slides and just making the counter deeper. Then use the areas to the left and right of the area taken by the saw as cubbies or shelves. This provides more storage and allows the saw to be used as you had planned. 61f2dc035e852ee6388dc0c60cf6d5af.jpgb2638a662041b01c32ef8f665c28c4b1.jpg

I hope I explained that well enough... it makes sense in my head.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Da Hammer said:

Bob,

That is exactly what I want to do.  I have a 29' counter top and want to give about 6' of the wall to the miter saw.  Before I change gears all together does anyone else have any ideas?  Thanks again

I would not limit the area for the miter saw.  I have a 2 projects in less than a year where I need 12 feet of the counter to support what I was cutting, and I was glad I had every inch.  Plan it so you can use all of the space you "think" your going to need and then add some more.

I have a 12" Mikita configured in just that way, 7 feet on each side with a fence extension (removable via Kreg Slots  dadoed into the left counter.  It works well... but.... be careful and give it plenty of thought. Chop saws are pretty messy and there's really no good dust collection option. I have a 2" dust line that connects to the saw but it's still a mess.  The removable fence works great, but needs to be aligned with a straight edge during set up... not a big deal, but something to consider in the work flow.  When not in use, if you get lazy and leave the fence in place, it greatly diminishes the use of the infeed side and "stuff" begins to collect.

Its a great idea (or at least I thought it was) as long as you have enough space to dedicate for that purpose. The problem comes with multiple use and again the mess that the chop saw makes.  The wall of tools and clamps behind the saw is going to get covered in dust and require constant vacuuming.  The pix are from the shop build in 2014... before fence and dust collection was installed, but you get the idea.

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Idaho Andy said:

Actually, the wood burner isn't all that bad...  what doesn't burn gets swept up and "reprocessed" outside with the sawdust.

Excellent shop Andy!  Thanks for the pictures.  A wood stove is my primary shop heat also, it really doesn't cause any problems.

1 hour ago, Just Bob said:

A wood stove is my primary shop heat also, it really doesn't cause any problems.

I heat the shop with wood probably 90% of the time... I DID cheat, however, and installed a nice propane wall unit that I use when I need to keep a constant temp over night for finishes etc., but I have to admit, I do enjoy having the fire going on a snowy day just working' in the shop :D

As for the FJ... I've had it for 30 of its 40 year life... and it was this January, during a snow storm when I pulled it into the shop, I was sitting by the fire... looking across the table saw at the cruiser, I realized it was the same baby-sh_t yellow as Powermatic LOL...  but it's a great rig for up here :D

• Like 1

On 2/28/2017 at 7:32 PM, Da Hammer said:

I come seeking advice....

My measurements indicate it needs about 43" of depth to sit in the counter area, but my counter top is only 25" deep.  I am fine building it's stand deeper/wider but then that gives me fence issues.   

Da Hammer... in an unrelated thread It has begun. (Roubo No.438271) the last post tonight shows Denette's shop...take a look in the background, he has a Hitachi sliding miter in a recessed bench.... looks pretty wide, but it's obviously been done... thought you might want to look :D

• Like 1

As an update I didn't like any option I could come up with to keep the slider so I returned the slider and got a 12" non sliding saw.  It will work how I had it in my mind so hopefully after the weekend I might have some pictures of the saw in it's new home.  Hopefully....