Hello from the Live Free or Die State

LazarusDB

Hi Folks,

Just joined today. Been ww'ing off and on for 20+ years doing a variety of small projects. Recently starting doing some "maker" projects but woodworking is my first love. Next project (starting this weekend is a bathroom vanity cabinet.

Cheers,

Aaron

7 hours ago, Derek_PNW said:

Welcome Aaron! My girlfriend's family owns a sugaring farm up in your awesome state! Maple weekend is coming up! Haha

With the recent warm weather, there have been reports of the maple already starting to run in certain areas.

Thanks all for the welcome.

Aaron

• Like 1

I must admit that my American geography is not great, so I had to look up the state you used the slogan for.

My American geography is getting much better as I progress through the AMC series "hell on wheels" though.  

I am also learning about the American civil war, which is pretty interesting.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2017 at 0:16 AM, wtnhighlander said:

Does anyone call you Ay-Ay-Ron?

I was going through US Customs in Dublin about 18 months ago and the female agent looked at my passport and started chuckling. She asked me if I had seen this video. We both had a good laugh.

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Bear in mind that some folks from South of the Mason-Dixon line feel it isn't quite over yet ... and you don't really want to get into a conversation with them about it! 

Certainly not going discuss politics here - just a comment on how much I am learning while watching this series.  I have been reading a lot about the actual events that inspired the series.

What I do find confusing is all the different "souths": Deep South, Upper South, Dixie, Bible Belt...

Technically, anything below the Pennsylvania / Maryland border (aka, Mason-Dixon line), and East of the Mississippi river, is considered "the South". "Deep South" generally refers to states within that region and below the southern borders of TN and NC, which contained large plantations prior to the aformentioned act of aggression, and were heavily dependant upon slave labor. The "Bible Belt" sweeps East/West through NC, TN and AR, bleeding over into the states above and below, to some degree. The name stems from the high concentration of protestant churches in the area.

And top that off with the city of Memphis TN referring to itself as "The Heart of the Mid-South". Whatever that means.

Pug, if you ever make it down this way, be sure to look me up. I'd be happy to give you a tour of Shilo battlefield, Parker's Crossroads battlefield, or any of the several other battlefield memorials in the area.

• Like 1