Thoughts on an antique socket chisel

OldSouthWoodCraft

Stopped by an antique store on my way from the job back to the office today. Found an interesting looking socket chisel for next to nothing. It's about 1.75 in wide and a very nice weight to it. Unfortunately I don't know a thing about this chisel except that its actually cast.

You read that right a solid cast chisel.

Pits and dimples throughout. I don't see any signs of a makers mark but based on the casting I imagine it's at least turn of the century or older. Just wanted to hear some thoughts on it from pros such as yourselves.

2c7bc22abb3e78cba06bc822d18e0392.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I am asking mostly to find out if it still useful if a proper sharpening and honing were given to it along with a handle. Or is it better kept as a nice conversation piece to have around?  Does anyone happen to have a similar piece in their collection?

Given that I live in one of oldest states in the country who knows what this was actually used for. I just would like to know more of the possible history of the piece.

Also what do you mean by big projects? Furniture? Remodeling? Etc?

Thanks for the clarification @BonPacific.  I think you and the Doc are right.  Too much work for too little reward, even though I might have a use for a 2 in chisel eventually.  Guess it will go on the shelf with my Defiant block plane and old Stanley Handyman No. 5 (bought with Green Stamps).

• Like 1

Sorry, but that chisel has a tang, not a socket.  It was probably made by a local blacksmith out of some low carbon steel with not much more carbon in it than wrought iron. Most likely, it was something that could be heat treated so that it could probably take a really sharp edge, before it suffered all the pitting, but that edge wouldn't have lasted very long.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OldSouthWoodCraft said:

Thanks for the clarification @BonPacific.  I think you and the Doc are right.  Too much work for too little reward, even though I might have a use for a 2 in chisel eventually.  Guess it will go on the shelf with my Defiant block plane and old Stanley Handyman No. 5 (bought with Green Stamps).

Green Stamps? Finally someone as old as me! I agree, put that sucker on display as a conversation piece. Kinda cool! 

• Like 1

The back, at least, would have to be ground to completely remove all the pitting before it would be usable. That may remove a substantial amount of thickness.

My feeling is that it is good for decorative use, not practical.

Turns out I didn't have to do too much material removal from the front or back to put an edge on it. I doubt it will hold the edge for any length of time but it looks pretty good for a 20 min sharpening and reshaping session. Now to make room for it on the shelf.

bae789193fe90bbb0e18f8db983dfdb7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk