First G&G project

prov163

First off, thanks for the kind words.  You are making great progress on this piece.  Sounds like you have enjoyed a lot of "firsts" on this one and that is always rewarding.  Like any part of the craft, refining your skills comes with practice.  I'm still pretty clumsy on a number of things I see others do with ease.

Early on I made a bunch of full-blown pieces out of pallet parts and random scraps.  I quickly learned to destroy these items once they had served their purpose or someone would want to take them home.  There is still a G&G nitestand made out of God-knows-what being used as a plant stand in my MIL's back yard. :wacko:

I still do mock-ups for new techniques or methods using pine, poplar or random scraps from the bin.  As you do more you will find your "take" on certain styles. The more 'pyramid' look on the finger tips and plugs can be found on a few folks versions of the style.  Here's Gary Rowgowski's plugs:

5968d2df80540_RogowskiPlugs.JPG.fb5d09638c5036b9f3f5dd3788537e7d.JPG

gee-dub, thanks for sharing that Rowgowski tip. I did learn a lot and got to really practice with chisels, cut small parts (straight) with my carcass saw on the bench hook, used my new LV BU jack plane to fine tune the back for a perfect fit. It was just a reminder that the "secret" to becoming a better woodworker is to woodwork. Find something new you want to try then build a project. 

Work has been insanely stressful lately and my shop time has been the only thing that kept me from flipping my lid. So, thanks for the encouragement!

Hoping to put a few coats of ARS on next week, then final assembly. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So most of us are from the era of great music :D

Those who go together when I delivered this started the ball rolling on a 70's reunion. Since the high school we all attended was closed in 1975 (a new school had been constructed) it'll just be 5 years but should be a hoot. Any excuse to go back to my hometown is a good one!