1400 vs 2200 and FIGHT

socoj2

3 hours ago, Mike. said:

@HuxleyWood I don't own a kapex and don't keep miter saw in my shop (i really don't see the need for making furniture, but I do have an old Bosch I keep in storage for DIY jobs).   I will never buy one (unless I get a much larger shop), but I am curious what well known problem it has. 

As noted it is the 120v versions motors that seem to experience a much higher failure rate than should be expected and compared to reports of failures on other tools it is well outside the norm for Festool, the Euro 240v motors don't seem to share the same issue.  

As for the Pro 5 there have been what, less than 10 reports of break dancing sanders?  We know that there are tens of thousands of these set loose in the wild since Nov 1.  Normally I would include the caveat that there would probably be a magnitude or even two magnitudes more issues that have gone unreported on the internet but in this case the vast majority of the sales were driven by the internet so I would think the number of reported issues is more representative than normal.  Another fact that supports a relatively low failure rate is the sanders returned for repair have been repaired and returned timely, if the failure rate was substantial Festool USA's repair department would be running significantly slower than usually again considering the number of sanders all delivered within the window of 5 months.  

As for demand they underestimated it by a LOT but they have been delivery supply and if it weren't such a ridiculously good deal people would have canceled and got their money back, despite the complaining they obviously think it was worth the wait.  

8 minutes ago, estesbubba said:

Mike got a link to details on this? I've just done a minute test run with mine and noticed it isn't as smooth as my 150/5 but maybe it just won't be. 

This is the first account of it, there may be a little more discussion on FOG than this thread but I think this thread has most of it.

http://festoolownersgroup.com/festool-tool-reviews/review-of-pro5-limited/

57 minutes ago, Mike. said:

When I said "half of them" I was obviously exaggerating.   But there have been at least 10 guys in the guild facebook group reporting problems.   There are only 1800 members in that group.  The last I heard only 2 of them have actually gotten around to sending them in for repair.   

I don't know what an acceptable failure rate is, but I am sure more than 10 have issues.  Lots of problems will go unreported, because a lot of the sanders were sold to newbies with no other festool machines who just don't know any better.

Mike - apparently some sanders have a tendency to jump around on your work and are difficult to control.   it behaves more like a jumping bean than a sander. 

I obviously knew it was hyperbole but it was hyperbolic for hyperbole.  My point was the Pro 5 probably has a higher report rate on the internet than most other Festool tools.  The reason being is the forums and blogs drove a VERY high percentage of the sales, so people return to where they heard about it and complain and the ones that have never owned Festool are often the first to complain because it is worse than their PC or Ridgid.  But it does illustrate to those with a problem exactly how good Festools service is, open a ticket, get a box sent to you for return, set up the pickup and wait for the return.  My intent is not to be a Festool apologist while I do have a lot of their tools I hold no special bond with them but I do think it is important to be fair.  I am not saying hyperbole doesn't have its place and actually was reasonable in the sense you used it since most of your audience would recognize it but at the same time it does beome internet "record" so it seemed fair to point out that beyond the inside joke things aren't quite so dire.  Festool ain't perfect and the Kapex seems to be a good indication of that.  

In any case 

I'm a total fanboy and have all of the routers.  My favorites are the 2200 and mfk 700.  The 2200 has the best ergonomics and dust collection of any router I've used.  That said it's a beast and there many situations it's too akward to use (sometimes even with supports). I like the 1400 as well and while I think it's as good or better than most of the other routers i don't think It's far superior.  I have a dewalt 621 and 625 as well and really like the both routers, especially the 621.  Good dust collection ( almost as good as the 1400 if the cut is on the surface of the board).  Big advantage to the 1400 on edge work though. Some/many will disagree but I I like the ergonomics on the dewalt as well.  I was never a huge fan of the handle of the 1400 or 1010.  It works but I guess I'm just more accustomed to the regular 2 handles. Actually my favorite is the body grips from Milwaukee.  The 1400 has the advantage of begins part of a system like all festool products but I never really liked the guide stop attachment.  Wasn't very smooth when in use and took too much setup time.  I found the home made jig (like the one Marc shows in one of his vids) is much easier and faster to use  

Best suggestion is to try out the routers yourself.  The handles on the festool are much different than other routers so make sure to try it out first.