1400 vs 2200 and FIGHT

socoj2

The 1400, while the 2200 may be the best designed router in the world it is simply too big for most handheld operations.  Anything I need the HP of a 2200 for is done on the router table or shaper.  

I use the 1010 and 1400 for most of my router work.  I have a Dewalt 611 I use for some things and a couple of Bosch MRC 23s that live in dedicated jobs (I think the MRC23 is the second best mid-sized router).  

Also you can buy and accessorize a 1010 and a 1400 for not much more than a 2200.

In the end for a single router the 1400 would be my choice.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Great useless answer. Those extremely overpriced Festools are better than your Dewalt in every imaginable way. But since you can't afford them let's just pretend they're "overpriced." Self-fulfilling prophecy.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sorry, no Dewalts here. I have 1 Hitachi and multiple Porter Cables which are all around 10 years old. Being able to afford something has nothing to do with the discussion for me, it is a value thing. I own an overpriced Festool vac and sander where it's features overcame the ludicrous price level.

I did look at that Festool hole drilling jig thing that uses the overpriced router, a track and pins etc. to drill cabinet sides. If you were in the business of selling cabinets I suppose  it could be justified but not for the home shop, insane ;). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mdbuilder said:

I own an overpriced Festool vac and sander where it's features overcame the ludicrous price level.

Apples and oranges comparison.  I don't know what box store sander you think comes close to an ETS, but we'll set that aside for now.  But the extractor comparison is a completely false equivalency.  Aside from the auto on-off and the suction variability, there's very little that sets a CT apart from another decent shop vac (perhaps filters but you can upgrade those).  Routers are a totally different ballgame.  They'll all plunge a mortise or round over an edge, but build quality on the Festools along with the higher available precision make them hardly even comparable to the box store offerings.  I have nearly a dozen routers of different makes, including Festool...so I know from experience how different they are, while you clearly don't.  Being a knee-jerk Festool hater is just as stupid as being a Festool Kool-Aid drinker.  Perhaps from now on it would be best to give your opinion only about things of which you have at least a shred of knowledge.  Buy a 1400 and run it for a year alongside your Hitachi and PCs, then tell me there's no difference.

Maaaan its funny how festool gets people goin, myself included.

The routers really are good though. Alot of people blindly hate on them because they cant imagine how a router could be 3x better than what theyre already using. Truth is the quality increase is never proportional to the price increase. With Festool youre usually well into that realm of diminished returns.

But if you use a router frequently, dont have to sell an organ to afford it, and/or are already invested in the festool system, they are definitely worth it. Theres a level of precision and versatility to those routers thats hard to beat.

Back to topic, ive never used the 2200 but after handling one, the consensus is right, the 1400 is a much better go-to router option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, socoj2 said:

all kidding aside. is there a reason to get one over the other? You have no router which would you buy? you already have vacs sanders track saws track etc.

If you had asked this question 5 or 6 years ago, I would have said, don't pay the money, any router will do the job.  Then I bought a track saw....for me a large part of Festools value is the ability to use the tools as part of a system, rather than individual tools.  Being able to use the track with the routers, or adding accessories to do jobs that I would never use a router for, only adds to the value.  When I add in the build quality, accuracy and ease of use, then the purchase price is worth it to me. 

To your question, I have the 1400 and 1010 routers, I have never used the 2200.  I also have a Bosch and several Dewalts, for the most part instead of making dust, they gather dust.  Purchase price vs value  is for you to decide.

To get back to the OP's original question, if this were my only router in the shop, the 1400 would be the absolute answer.  If I already had a decent router (regardless of manufacturer) in that HP range, I would seriously consider the 2200. 

1 hour ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

As someone with both an OF1400 and OF2200, I can say they're both great routers. The 1400 is great for most day to day operations, however if I'm doing any sort of groove, dado, or operation where I need that kind of power and stability there is no other router that can compare to it.

Dados and Rabbits and stop dados are primarly what im getting it for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, socoj2 said:

Dados and Rabbits and stop dados are primarly what im getting it for.

Obviously is depends on the size but given those limited operations then the 2200 may be a better choice especially with guide rails.  That said I use my 1400 for these all the time but if they are really big I use another option.  The 1400 and guides rails on an MFT like bench top were what finally "allowed" me to ditch my RAS which had dropped to just dado stack work.  Though it isn't as fast on short dados as the RAS it does lots of other things too and takes up far less room.  

3 hours ago, mdbuilder said:

OK, fanatical opinions only - got it! 

Moderator eh?

If you're building a Roubo out of..... say, Alder, then really any router will do. If however you come to your senses and decide to build it out of ....Hard Maple, then the OF1400 is worth every penny. If you get drunk one night and buy 200 board foot of Gabon Ebony you wouldn't need it, but then you can afford a 2200 and wouldn't even be allowed in this conversation.

• Like 2

I dont have the 2200, but it seems like a much better designed tool. Does the 2200 have true competition? I dont know that it does.I truly believe the 1400 DOES have competition. Bosch makes some solid routers. Someone already mentioned the MRC series, and i have the 1617. Used to have 3 until I got the 1400--sold two of them to get the NOS 1400. I might be next in line for being stoned to death, but i only reach for the 1400 because of its dust collection. It is much much better than the bosch. After that feature, it doesnt have more power, i prefer the bosch's grip by a multiple of 100, the plunge mechanism is slightly smoother/better action on the festool, and the accessories are better on the festool. I use the track adapter every now and then(not available for bosch), the edge guide is pricey but nice, and the edge profile dust bin is shear genius. If you work with bits that have a diameter greater than 3/4" then i would NOT suggest the 1400 at all. Some fool  made the opening on the dust shroud about 7/8", which doesnt sound like a terrible idea, until you realize you cannot take the shroud off, insert you 1" diameter bit, plunge the collet, and reinsert the dust shroud around the collet. The sliding opening on the shroud is not big enough to go over the collet. This blows my mind each and everytime i touch the tool. They might as well put a gun to your head and force you to buy the 2200 for the privilege of using different diameter bits. What ive noticed from watching too many videos using the 2200 is how well designed it is. The grip ergonomics look incredible. I like the plunge and lock mechanism. The dust port connection is up and out of your way. The drop down dust shield is brilliant. It has a light, right? Incredible power. I think im voting 2200. I dont own one, but i would trade my 1400 for one right now. Much like i would trade my DF500 for an XL700 right now, and i wouldnt trade my TS75 for a TS55. Their bigger tools are designed so that they provide the capacity without being unruly or cumbersome. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pwk5017 said:

If you work with bits that have a diameter greater than 3/4" then i would NOT suggest the 1400 at all. Some fool  made the opening on the dust shroud about 7/8", which doesnt sound like a terrible idea, until you realize you cannot take the shroud off, insert you 1" diameter bit, plunge the collet, and reinsert the dust shroud around the collet. 

I can't be the only one with an extra dust shroud opened up to fit larger bits... can I?

As for the grip on the smaller routers I agree it is a love it or hate it kinda thing, I thought I would hate it but I have grown to prefer it.  

15 minutes ago, HuxleyWood said:

I can't be the only one with an extra dust shroud opened up to fit larger bits... can I?

As for the grip on the smaller routers I agree it is a love it or hate it kinda thing, I thought I would hate it but I have grown to prefer it.  

Wait, two shrouds came with your machine or you bought a second? And one of these dust shrouds is enlarged direct from Festool, or you altered it? I discussed this a few times on FOG, and it is dumb as hell. Im not even going to look up the price of a second dust shroud to alter, because i know it's going to be $25-40. 

I hated the grip the day i took it out of the systainer. I bashed it in a thread here, but everyone told me to give it a chance. I gave it a chance and it still sucks. Stick with the 1617 or 2200 grip across all models. It simply works. The asymmetrical base on the 1400 ticks me off too. 

Forgot to mention the bit change is pretty slick on the festool routers. Also, this discussion is making me consider selling my 1400 to the OP and getting a 2200. 

10 minutes ago, Llama said:

Why, you know where some is? :) 

Considering that would cost you in the neighborhood of 20 thousand dollars, I'll be the first to say...even if you did know...who cares? :)

Side note: an ebony workbench would look ridiculous IMO...no?