Abandoning Stanley

Ronn W

The LN 62 is a beautiful plane.  That being said, the iron in the LV LAJ also fits their BU Smoother, BU Jointer and their Shooting plane.  I have enjoyed having an array of irons for all these planes.  The set screws enthusiastically discussed here make swapping between them a matter of near zero effort.

16 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

I think Stanley has abandoned us ! They gobble up companies and offshore jobs. They cater to big box pricing mentality. They lower the quality of tools they used to make so well.......

They just bought Craftsman as well. There's been the expected claims that they will be bringing production of some tools back to the US. I'll believe it when I see it.

31 minutes ago, BonPacific said:

They just bought Craftsman as well. There's been the expected claims that they will be bringing production of some tools back to the US. I'll believe it when I see it.

They already are...with global materials :rolleyes:. That's not necessarily their fault. Producing a competitive product ain't easy with US labor. 

I still think SBD is head and shoulders above their competition. A lot of people don't realise they have a large umbrella of brand names including porter-cable, bostich, proto, and a damn good fastener brand in powers to name a few..

Just now, Janello said:

They all ready are...with global materials :rolleyes:. That's not necessarily their fault. Producing a competitive product ain't easy with US labor. 

That and materials. Hard to stomach the price of a lot of raw materials (especially things like rare metals that are almost exclusively owned by China) for the small benefit in American labor, They've been doing a reasonably good job with DeWalt, I've read/watched some tours of one of their factories.

I still think SBD is head and shoulders above their competition.

Who's left? At this point it seems like they own all the major hand-tool brands. Though very few of those brands have any in-house manufacturing facilities. Milwaukee makes a bunch of their blades in the US, but are any of their actual tools assembled here?

6 minutes ago, BonPacific said:

Who's left? At this point it seems like they own all the major hand-tool brands. Though very few of those brands have any in-house manufacturing facilities. Milwaukee makes a bunch of their blades in the US, but are any of their actual tools assembled here?

Really just Milwaukee. I don't think you can even put Bosch in the mix anymore. But that was my point...atleast SBD is trying to make US product.

I checked ebay, and there is a blade for sale.     http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stanley-Plane-Iron-Fits-S-W-Sweetheart-62-Jack-Plane-Iron-Blade-12-142-NEW-/322368479001?hash=item4b0ea89f19:g:YDwAAOSw5cNYXZCv

looks like they have 5.   It would have to be reground to anything other than 25, but that's nothing.

Most of the power tools I bought in the '70s are still being used. I have good Stanley and Record tools that I bought new that are no longer available.  My made in America Milwaukee tools are prized possessions.  I'm glad I'm not starting to buy tools now.  I know most of you like to have your tools out where you can see them, but mine are staying stored in watertight boxes from now on.

i have some of my dad's old 70s/80s milwaukee tools.   He was a pipefitter so more geared to that work.  Portaband, couple different ammer drills, circular saw.  They are beastly. 

23 minutes ago, Mike. said:

i have some of my dad's old 70s/80s milwaukee tools.   He was a pipefitter so more geared to that work.  Portaband, couple different ammer drills, circular saw.  They are beastly. 

My job for the last 21 years is purchasing tools and managing a shop that supplies union pipefitters and plumbers in the field. Hilti and Milwaukee were the go to tools when I started. Now you can count on one hand how many of them I have in a million dollar a year inventory. Today's world is moving more and more to cordless...and throw away in that business. 

1 hour ago, Tom King said:

A little price gouging there.  The usual retail price is about $38.  But thanks.

7 hours ago, Ronn W said:

A little price gouging there.  The usual retail price is about $38.  But thanks.

1 hour ago, C Shaffer said:

$10 extra to buy now an object that is out of stock does not strike me as gouging...at all. 

LOL Yeah no kidding.  If I had a pile of those you can bet your ass I'd have a $75 price tag on mine.  Supply and demand determines price.  That guy doesn't know how rare those blades are.

On 5/24/2017 at 7:59 PM, Ronn W said:

The Stanely blade is unique in that it has 2 holes in it.  I am pretty sure that no one elses blade will work in it.

I plan to sell the Stanley with the blade in it.  I can get more for it that way.:P

How much are you looking to get for the plane? I have been wanting a low angle jack.