Frustration at the lumber yard

1 hour ago, Dylder said:

I have been to Eric's yard many times, with his boss or Eric.  Never an issue, the main reason I see to pick through a stack is to match color and grain.  I do try to match measurements to about 20%.  And I always buy extra to cover for a screw up.  UPick always has some type of discounted piles too.  I try to grab a few pieces of that just to have around. I try not to mess the stacks up too bad, but I'm sure I do.   Last year they changed business hours to be more hobbyist friendly.  Great place to buy from.

Indeed...and truthfully I always find what I need within the first few layers of boards anyway.  Except once that is, and Eric himself dug out some massive cherry 6/4 triplets for me that must have been three feet deep in the stack.

• Like 1

BTW...forum members can do whatever y'all want at the yard cuz yer my homies.  I cringe at the thought that any of you will be timid about tearing into the stacks now.  Please don't be.  I reserve my frustration for those whom I don't chat with on a daily basis.

I'm pretty sure I have a disorder.  At my preferred yard (80-odd miles one way) I take boards out and view them, take ones I want and put the ones I don't pretty much back like I found them. 

The bulk of the material is vertical so this is no challenge (except for the 12' long, 11" wide piece of 8/4 bubinga; I'm just a little guy :D).  The yard is good about rotating stock from the bulk area into the vertical racks but, they have been cool with me wandering around just about anywhere too look at stock.  They even set stock aside that they think I may want (I usually do). 

Make friends with your yard owners/operators.  I even stop and gab with the forklift operator / material schlepper.  After all, he's the guy who helps me move and load heavier material.

16 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

I'm pretty sure I have a disorder.  At my preferred yard (80-odd miles one way) I take boards out and view them, take ones I want and put the ones I don't pretty much back like I found them. 

The bulk of the material is vertical so this is no challenge (except for the 12' long, 11" wide piece of 8/4 bubinga; I'm just a little guy :D).  The yard is good about rotating stock from the bulk area into the vertical racks but, they have been cool with me wandering around just about anywhere too look at stock.  They even set stock aside that they think I may want (I usually do). 

Make friends with your yard owners/operators.  I even stop and gab with the forklift operator / material schlepper.  After all, he's the guy who helps me move and load heavier material.

Customer relations will get you top service.  Even if you're the customer.  If you won't be a friend to the folks that supply you, you'll feel unwelcome, because you are.

• Like 1

After reading some of these stories, I was reminded of a time I went to a lumber yard a couple years ago. The employee that was helping me seemed like I was wasting his time. He was probably busy with something when I intervened. I ended up leaving and I never thought about that place again until just now. It just got me thinking how a negative interaction with a first time customer could be your last. Something I need to remember.

11 hours ago, Eric. said:

BTW...forum members can do whatever y'all want at the yard cuz yer my homies.

E, what happens at your yard with the "bottom of the pile boards" the ones that for one reason or another don't get picked, wild grain, knots, twist, whatever? do they just get stacked on the new pile or something else? 

14 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

E, what happens at your yard with the "bottom of the pile boards" the ones that for one reason or another don't get picked, wild grain, knots, twist, whatever? do they just get stacked on the new pile or something else? 

The decent ones will just get thrown onto the top of a new stack, but any of the crap boards will usually get discounted for quick sale.  Really bad ones we'll just give away to people for test boards and what-not.

• Like 1