What Saw?

Marmotjr

18 hours ago, Eric. said:

Another option is to buy a dozuki.  They can be had fairly cheaply and a lot of guys prefer cutting their dovetails with them.  I personally have way more control and coordination with a western saw, but that's probably primarily because I learned on a western saw and have developed that particular muscle memory.  I still use my dozuki from time to time even though I have a collection of western saws, so it wouldn't be a complete waste even if you discovered it's not your preferred saw for cutting dovetails.  I'm pretty sure I paid less than $50 for mine, and it's a quality tool.

Was about to suggest this - the gyokucho ones are pretty solid.

From my own experience when first entering this hobby--beware of any thin plate saw (Western or Japanese). I ruined one of each not knowing how easy it was to kink a blade. However, in those first few weeks, the Western saw blade really fit me. I've bought a replacement blade for my dozuki; but the vintage and boutique saws have my loyalty. I bought a used LN 11.5" blade that cuts dovetails very well. I also have a 10" and 12" vintage rip dovetail saws: both are great. I enjoy the longer blades better, but that's my preference. 

If you have someone nearby, go visit and try out the blades.  In this era, we have have too many quality options to buy beat up used and need to learn rehabbing before sawing.

PS: Though I don't own a LV Veritas saw, if I was starting out, that would be my first choice financially. OTOH, if money is not a problem, go with Bad Axe or LN or Grammercy or Bontz or Wenzloff or Adria or others

Edited by aengland
addendum

I have both a Veritas and Lie Nielsen dovetail saw.  Both are excellent saws.  However, I do tend to gravitate to using the LN over the Veritas.  Just has a better feel to me. As said earlier, a good dovetail/rip saw first.  A good crosscut saw second.

As for bad ax saws, I will own one someday.  I have tried them out a few times, and they are nothing short of awesome.

3 hours ago, Eric. said:

Veritas: best value

LN: best saw for a reasonable price before diminishing returns

Bad Axe: best cool factor

Bontz: most unique and most boutiquey

This is my first time hearing of Bontz. I have now "wasted" an hour at my desk browsing his site. They look really nice. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MattF said:

This is my first time hearing of Bontz. I have now "wasted" an hour at my desk browsing his site. They look really nice. 

He makes cool stuff.  His shop is less than an hour from me.  He's a super nice guy...comes into my yard from time to time and we shoot the breeze.  Tiny, one-man operation.  He gave me one of his resin-infused prototype mallets at the wood show this year. :)

1 hour ago, prov163 said:

Thanks Eric.  Bontz is a cool site, though he is not taking new orders for saws at this time

It's always been difficult to place an order with him.  He runs such a small operation and does almost all the work himself (outsources a little bit of CNC work) that he just can't keep up with the demand.  Then he decided to add some new tools and that made it even worse.  Typical of boutique makers...they want to expand their business but it relies so heavily on their own two hands that they find it difficult to grow and simultaneously maintain the high quality they've established a reputation for.  Catch-22.

He came into the yard one day last year and I happened to have some cash on me...I threw it at him and demanded he make me a saw.  He laughed and said he'd be happy to make me one but he's not taking my money until he has one to give me.  I said, "Okay, then let's order one."  He said, "I'm not taking orders right now."  LOL

Luckily I have no need for a second dovetail saw so it's just kind of a running joke.  He also owes me a half-blind dovetail tool. -_-

I own and use 3 of the LN saws. The DT, Tapered Carcass, and Tenon saw. I feel that for the price, they give the best value. If you ever need to sell them, they hold there value. I don't bother to resharpen the saws myself. When needed, I repack the saw in the original LN box, place that one in a bigger box. I include a note for resharpening,  my return address etc. I usually have the saw back in 7 days, sharp as ever, and any scratches have been buffed out and it looks like new. I believe it cost me around $25 with shipping. The price may have gone up so check first.

As for the photo of the female with a chainsaw. What should we do when a Carl Jr's commercial airs on the idiot box?

• Like 1