What Saw?

Marmotjr

Looking to get into more 'advanced' joinery, ie dovetails.  But I don't have a saw for this use, what ONE saw should I get that will cover most of the bases, tempt me to get more specialized saws, and is relatively inexpensive (<$50), and will give decent enough results that I won't get frustrated?

• Like 1

I'm not sure what you consider inexpensive but I have the Veritas Carcass saw pictured below. It cuts smoothly and cleanly for me but I'm sure others will say to go with a true dovetail saw.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/veritas-crosscut-carcass-saw-14-tpi?gclid=Cj0KEQjwmv7JBRDXkMWW4_Tf8ZoBEiQA11B2fuQO3O-K7t52II-8p6I-AQTmobmf_JNNaW7fOSUrI7QaAvkY8P8HAQ

Btw I definitely didnt pay as much as they are asking for it. Mine was closer to 55 as the box was already open.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OldSouthWoodCraft said:

I'm not sure what you consider inexpensive but I have the Veritas Carcass saw pictured below. It cuts smoothly and cleanly for me but I'm sure others will say to go with a true dovetail saw.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/veritas-crosscut-carcass-saw-14-tpi?gclid=Cj0KEQjwmv7JBRDXkMWW4_Tf8ZoBEiQA11B2fuQO3O-K7t52II-8p6I-AQTmobmf_JNNaW7fOSUrI7QaAvkY8P8HAQ

Btw I definitely didnt pay as much as they are asking for it. Mine was closer to 55 as the box was already open.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Great advice from OldSouthWoodCraft

If you are buying new that is your best bet. there is nothing under that Priceline that I would get that does not include restoration and sharpening. most of the time if someone can not afford that then I tell them to get a Hack Saw. you would be surprised how good the work you can do with one.

I'm going to buck the trend a little and suggest the pair of Lee valley carcass saws - one filed rip, the other cross cut. I find I really like that size of saw. I bought the set of 3 Lee valley saws that comes with the large tenon saw, the cross cut carcass saw, and the dovetail saw. I use the carcass saw 90% of the time that I reach for one of them. I haven't cut dovetails yet, so obviously that's where that saw would come into its own, but for the tenons I've used them on the carcass saw size would have been fine. The set of three saws is nice, but I would have been pretty happy with just the two.

Lee Valley carcass saws

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SawDustB said:

I'm going to buck the trend a little and suggest the pair of Lee valley carcass saws - one filed rip, the other cross cut. I find I really like that size of saw. I bought the set of 3 Lee valley saws that comes with the large tenon saw, the cross cut carcass saw, and the dovetail saw. I use the carcass saw 90% of the time that I reach for one of them. I haven't cut dovetails yet, so obviously that's where that saw would come into its own, but for the tenons I've used them on the carcass saw size would have been fine. The set of three saws is nice, but I would have been pretty happy with just the two.

Lee Valley carcass saws

There was a price mentioned.

Veritas is best bang for the buck.  If you don't have that kind of money for a saw yet, get a backsaw for a miter box from the hardware store, a XX Slim Taper file and refile the teeth into a rip pattern.  It'll be some work but it'll be the cheapest way. 

• Like 2

Keep in mind that a high-quality saw - if treated properly - will last you a lifetime.  What you save up front buying lower quality, you lose in the end.  It's an investment, just like everything else.  I've used the Veritas saws, and while they perform beautifully, I just can't get over the aesthetics of them.

Another option is to buy a dozuki.  They can be had fairly cheaply and a lot of guys prefer cutting their dovetails with them.  I personally have way more control and coordination with a western saw, but that's probably primarily because I learned on a western saw and have developed that particular muscle memory.  I still use my dozuki from time to time even though I have a collection of western saws, so it wouldn't be a complete waste even if you discovered it's not your preferred saw for cutting dovetails.  I'm pretty sure I paid less than $50 for mine, and it's a quality tool.

2 hours ago, Eric. said:

Keep in mind that a high-quality saw - if treated properly - will last you a lifetime.  What you save up front buying lower quality, you lose in the end.  It's an investment, just like everything else.  I've used the Veritas saws, and while they perform beautifully, I just can't get over the aesthetics of them.

I agree Eric and would also point out that cutting DT's is a learned skill and starting out with a low quality saw only makes picking up said skill that much more difficult. I would save and get a quality DT saw like Lie Nielsen, Bad Axe, or my favorite the Rob Cosman DT saw.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric. said:

I've used the Veritas saws, and while they perform beautifully, I just can't get over the aesthetics of them.

Glad someone else mentioned this. I really dislike that black plastic spine.

That said, the Veritas saws are very nice to use, for pretty much any detail sawing. I have done very little dovetailing, but the Veritas Dovetail saw works nicely for small M&T joints, or really any other detail sawing. It is above your price range, but I really wouldn't recommend using anything cheaper. The Veritas is good enough you probably won't replace it, but supplement it with better specialty saws.

If you absolutely need to stay under $50, I think you're best bet is to get a file and find an older backsaw somewhere to repair. Dozuki's work, but I've found that personally it's easier for the line to wander, since the blades aren't very rigid.

The Dozuki "Z" cuts a lot easier dovetails than most western saws, including the LN dovetail saw. FTR the one I like for dovetails is the Dozuki "Z" saw, not the other brands (I have a Gyokucho Dozuki also and it's not that good). It's very easy to get your cuts started with precision and they cut hardwood like butter. And they're cheap.

12 minutes ago, Eric. said:

My beef with dozukis is the grip, nothing else.  They do tend to be easier to use for beginners because they cut on the pull stroke...but I find the grip extremely awkward and it's difficult for me to make accurate cuts with it.

The key with western saws is to hold the saw like you're holding a baby bird.  The weight of the saw does the work.  As soon as you try to apply pressure, things go wrong.

baby birds pffft. Real men use Japanese saws.

Unfortunately, the whole Japanese vs Western saw question is something you have to try for yourself. People seem to really like one or the other. I tried going with a dozuki first, and it was OK, but never quite clicked for me. It took about 30 seconds of me using a western carcass saw to decide that it felt much more natural to me. I also found I had issues with flexing the plate on the pull saws. If you can, try a couple of each before buying.