What Saw?

Marmotjr

As a man, I find the last two posts highly offensive.

40 minutes ago, jjongsma said:

I'm fairly new here so maybe you don't care about my opinion, but I think that things like this make the forum a less-than-welcoming place for women woodworkers and should be discouraged.

Just curious, do you not watch football games because of the cheerleaders?  Women are in the world, no way to avoid them completely.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eric. said:

As a man, I find the last two posts highly offensive.

Just curious, do you not watch football games because of the cheerleaders?  Women are in the world, no way to avoid them completely.

I understand that you're probably feeling defensive for being called out, that's fine. That's why you're making this about me and disingenuously suggesting that I want to completely avoid women. But I think you're smart enough to understand how posting images like that creates a non-welcoming atmosphere for women, despite the feigned ignorance and intentional misreading.

Awesome work guys.  Complete and total derailment!  LOL.  But it seemed to start a good conversation, and I did get quite a few pointers on what I'm looking for.   I did low ball the posted budget, as I've seen every other type of thread here inflate beyond the stated budgets( see also:  Should I get the Rigid or Delta Planer? Answer: Get a 735 for twice the price), so the vast majority of the recommendations were on point. 

2 hours ago, Eric. said:

I didn't club a baby seal. 

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/14/2017 at 7:10 PM, Marmotjr said:

I did low ball the posted budget, as I've seen every other type of thread here inflate beyond the stated budgets( see also:  Should I get the Rigid or Delta Planer? Answer: Get a 735 for twice the price), so the vast majority of the recommendations were on point.

Ok good. I almost replied "Hey dummy, sub $50 won't even buy a nice dinner with my wife." Seriously, I thought you a fool. Just so you know, power tools and hand tools share completely different price scales. If you had left the sub $50 off, you Might have gotten a Bad Axe recommendation that comes in at the three wife dinners range. I did not want to appear caustic, but now I know you can handle tongue in cheek. :D

• Like 2

I did get a few PM's about Bad Axe anyways.  And I am seriously impressed.   And yes, I did spec out a saw :rolleyes:, but not pulling that trigger for a while.  

I have pretty much average sized hands (Size Large normally in good rubber gloves, size 9? I think (been a while since I wore surgical gloves)), and yet I have a 8 1/8 head (hat size!  Out of the gutter yous!)

So what I am gleaning from this, I should get either a dedicated dovetail saw, or a hybrid saw that is dovetail/crosscut.  I will leave tenon cutting to the dado stack. 

A western grip is probably what I will go with, but I'm not opposed to a Japanese style, it's just that, as mentioned, the market seems flooded in a variety of qualities and price ranges, and I'm more likely to get a lemon that leaves me frustrated.  I've listened to enough people (in particular Shannon @RenaissanceWW) talk about how a light grip is key, so I'm already in that mindset (I hope).  My experience doing IV's as a medic might come in handy here, as a light grip in a delicate situation really helps.  (A being a high school musician really helps identify heart arrythmias).  I will eventually pick up a japanese saw, as those who love them, really love them, so I gotta try. 

Another suggestion in a PM was to take a class.  That had never occurred to me specifically about this, but it's a fantastic idea.  Woodcraft is about 90 minutes away, but there are other classes a bit closer, Connover's shop being about 15 minutes and 1 traffic light away from here (My bandsaw is from his line of tools), but he's really expensive for this type of class. 

Thank you for all the suggestions and comments!

• Like 1