Hvlp

davisj4

So I need to buy a compressor for mechanical work/winterizing an outdoor water line. 

Trying to buy once and right and thinking about future hvlp use. Is a turbine better/more economical or do compressors work well. 

I am just getting started in woodworking. 

21 minutes ago, drzaius said:

I have a 60 gal, 3HP compressor & it's much larger than I need for the shop, but it was a killer deal when I got it. It is large enough to blow out my irrigation lines, but just barely.

I agree I have a similar set up and as stated it works to blow out my irrigation lines but just barely.

1 hour ago, AceHoleInOne said:

Get the air-compressor, you'll kiss me on the lips later. The turbines are "one trick ponies" that only spray. :D

-Ace-

I'm surprised to hear this from you ace - I thought you were a fan of hvlp.

I love the "kit" that has the appropriately matched turbine and gun - can start shooting finish right out of the box.

If you're going to spray off a compressor, don't forget that you'll also need a good filter and some way to remove moisture from the air. Personally, I wouldn't want to be without a compressor in my shop for air tools, but for finishes I'm looking at HVLP so I don't have to mess with drying the air.

2 hours ago, Crashcup said:

If you're going to spray off a compressor, don't forget that you'll also need a good filter and some way to remove moisture from the air. Personally, I wouldn't want to be without a compressor in my shop for air tools, but for finishes I'm looking at HVLP so I don't have to mess with drying the air.

More importantly, it's the oil mist mixed in the air along with the water. Just like a car engine, you get blow-by past the compressors piston rings. The M-60 filter in the link above takes care of both. 

-Ace-