Box Design Suggestions

Isaac

In order to alleviate stress in my neck, I raised my computer monitor up higher to be closer to my line of site.

Those boards are just the cut off ends from when I replaced my basement stair treads a couple years ago (it is hard for me to throw things away).

59d8e9687684b_IMG_20171007_093657923(Large).thumb.jpg.708b160dc0ea77a6153018112a141a9f.jpg

Not exactly a pretty solution, so now I want to make a box, about the same size, say roughly 12"x"12"x4". I'm envisioning it having a drawer or two on the front, so I don't waste the space and probably on some sort of small feet.

I'm not quite sure hot to build it though. The monitor is not particularly heavy, but it needs to support it. Even though this is a unique need, I don't really want to reinvent the wheel, any suggestions on a project I might sort of bastardize for this need?   

Just like a turned bowl bottom, the weight of the monitor is not in the middle of the base, but distributed around the circumference of the base.  Otherwise it would rock back and forth or flip over.   So you could probably get away without a center divider, as the weight of the monitor is quite close to the vertical walls of the box.  Theoretically, the middle of the box should feel little to no force at all.   Not saying don't use a center divider, as it would only make it stronger, but I don't think it's necessary.  

But consider what things you would want to store in that box.  What size and shape are they and what type of drawer would contain them best.  How deep will your drawer be before you knock your keyboard off the desk opening them.  Maybe drawers aren't the way to do this.  Maybe cubbies to hide the speakers and other hardware.  Lots of options here.

But if you don't get the storage questions right, you'll never use them, or wish you had done it differently.  So play with some mock ups and plan out the drawers.  I Wouldn't worry too much about the weight of the monitor, as long as you build a overall sturdy box. 

• Like 2

If I make a drop door, below the drawers, I could have a compartment to slide the keyboard in. I guess it would be something like a butler tray. Any suggestions on an alternate hinge option? Seems like a butler hinge would require the panel to extend beyond the bottom edge of the box. If I wanted a look similar to what Lester showed above, anyway to make a false drawer front that comes out and then drops down (or possibly raises up?).

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Very nicely done. Dovetails look great. Did you use any kind of fasteners to attach the sides to the top and bottom? 

No fasteners anywhere on this one. Just continuous glued miter joints. The shelf that runs below the drawers and the divider piece each fit pretty snug in dadoes so I think that gives it some additional strength, and certainly helped hold it together during glue up.