WEN 3 speed Air Filtration unit

prov163

I read a lot of reviews on this unit before I ordered it. I know the Jet is the gold standard but I saved money enough on this that I’m pretty close to being able to buy a spiral head for my DJ-20 :D  My shop is small, 12’x24’ so I thought I’d give it a shot.  It has three speeds: 300, 350, 400 CFM. 

It was fairly easy to install and all the hardware was included including suspension chains, J hooks with machine threads designed to screw into the unit itself and four with wood threads for mounting to the ceiling. The unit seems well-made and weighs in about 30 pounds. There’s even a handle on the top in case you want to use it as a mobile unit. 

Once installed I plugged it up temporarily just to test it. Even on high it is pretty quiet. It has 1hr, 2hr and 4hr timers. I set it on 1hr when I left the shop tonight. I’ve got some clean up to do over the next few days. I’ll report back with my impressions. 

C2936906-0895-4E2E-BEF5-5E82572D36AE.jpeg

• Like 2

Great review bud. Hope it gives you years of clean breathing! I have the Jet and have often wondered how to tell how much good it’s doing? I don’t think gauging it by how often you’re changing the filter is a good indication. Granted, every spec of dust that it captures is that much that I don’t. But Mr. Clean it isn’t ! 

On 11/14/2017 at 7:56 PM, K Cooper said:

Great review bud. Hope it gives you years of clean breathing! I have the Jet and have often wondered how to tell how much good it’s doing? I don’t think gauging it by how often you’re changing the filter is a good indication. Granted, every spec of dust that it captures is that much that I don’t. But Mr. Clean it isn’t ! 

Agreed Coop.  For a couple years I ran a homeade unit that I made from a squirrel cage blower.  Sure the filter got pretty dirty, but I just couldn't tell a difference in the visible evidence of dust in the air or shop.  I took it down and haven't used a cleaner since, I do a lot more woodworking since I took it down but I still can't tell a difference.

I intend on adding a commercial unit, either the Jet or the WEN probably, soon, just because I feel like I should do more to protect the rest of the house.  I still have my reservations though.

As far as this WEN in particular, it's been as cheap as $89 on Amazon.  If it hits that price again, I'll probably buy and use two of them.  I'll place them on opposite sides of the shop and see what happens.

So, my first impressions are positive. I haven't done any sanding yet, but I’ve done shop cleaning which I’m sure raised a little dust. I can see the outer filter is darker therefore the unit is already making a difference. The air does seem “fresher” for lack of a better term. I’ll check the inner filter in a couple of weeks to see how it’s doing.  I’m very happy with this purchase so far. 

Next step is upgrading from the 1hp Shop Fox dust collector to the 2hp HF. Going to add a Wynn canister style filter. All of my stationary tools are within 5’ of the collector so I think this will be (or at least feel like) a fair upgrade for the cost. 

I've had the same WEN unit for ~2 years, still very happy with it. I'm in a small single car garage.  I'd recommend one per garage bay, for those of you with bigger shops, but it has plenty of power for smaller shops.  I also have a small WEN drill press. It's not going to do machinist quality work, but the QC on WEN stuff seems good from the 3 or 4 items I have had or used in others' shops so far. Small sample size, but I wouldn't be afraid to try them again when the price is right for non-critical stuff. 

On 11/18/2017 at 9:42 PM, prov163 said:

So, my first impressions are positive. I haven't done any sanding yet, but I’ve done shop cleaning which I’m sure raised a little dust. I can see the outer filter is darker therefore the unit is already making a difference. The air does seem “fresher” for lack of a better term. I’ll check the inner filter in a couple of weeks to see how it’s doing.  I’m very happy with this purchase so far. 

Next step is upgrading from the 1hp Shop Fox dust collector to the 2hp HF. Going to add a Wynn canister style filter. All of my stationary tools are within 5’ of the collector so I think this will be (or at least feel like) a fair upgrade for the cost. 

Which Shop Fox is the current DC? If it's the upright bagger I don't think you'll see much improvement going to the HF. I'd bet Wynn has a canister that would fit the Shop Fox.