DeWalt DW735 planner

Mark J

On 11/15/2017 at 6:58 AM, RichardA said:

You can't hone factory blades very well, they are paper thin.That's where DeWalt makes extra money. $50 every few months from several hundred thousand owners of the #735. The Infinity blades can be honed multiple times, I have 4 sets of those knives and the first set are in the planer now, after their 4th honing, and doing just what they were designed to do, plane wood. I don't know when they will not work any more, but when they do die, they will have paid for themselves more than once or twice.  Your choice, factory blades often, or Not. 

Can't tell from the picture on the Infinity site, but are their 735 HSS knives 2-sided? If so, how do you handle sharpening both edges in the Deulen Jig? Won't the first side be damage when remounted to hone the second side?

On 15/11/2017 at 7:51 PM, K Cooper said:

Or be stubborn and don’t listen to @RichardA and you’ll have yourself a collection of dull knives in no time. Rockler and Woodcraft put the 735 on sale every once in a while and throw in the in/outs and mobile table, if you have the patience. H

It's on Rockler's Black Friday list it's $650 with a free stand. I think Mark's deal is probably better. 

4 hours ago, thatCharlieDude said:

It's on Rockler's Black Friday list it's $650 with a free stand. I think Mark's deal is probably better. 

I'm not sure.  Depends on how much you'd have to spend to get the stand assuming you wanted it.   If the Farm & Fleet deal does include the accesories that's 150 bucks off the typical price.  I haven't shopped the stand, but Rockler sells the stand for $180.

7 minutes ago, Mark J said:

I'm not sure.  Depends on how much you'd have to spend to get the stand assuming you wanted it.   If the Farm & Fleet deal does include the accesories that's 150 bucks off the typical price.  I haven't shopped the stand, but Rockler sells the stand for $180.

Their ad says it's a $150 value

On 11/18/2017 at 3:41 PM, RichardA said:

Go to the deulen site.

Sorry, I  thought that, since you used the Deulen jig with Infinity blades, you would know the answer. It does not appear anywhere that I can see on the Deulen site or within the video. The video shows sharpening knives which have only one edge. I've sent an email question to Deulen.

27 minutes ago, Randy said:

Sorry, I  thought that, since you used the Deulen jig with Infinity blades, you would know the answer. It does not appear anywhere that I can see on the Deulen site or within the video. The video shows sharpening knives which have only one edge. I've sent an email question to Deulen.

The Infinity blades are double sided. Go to there web site and in their jointer and planer knife section, it shows them in a Deulen sharpening jig. The jig has brass inserts with screws that hold the knives secure at the right angle and no, the edges are not damaged. It wouldn’t be worth a flip if they were. 

59 minutes ago, Randy said:

I do know the answer, but it's easier explained on the site.

Thanks for the answer. I had already been to the Deulen website, as well as viewing other videos before I asked. However, the only reason I asked was that, while the Deulen site video does show how to mount the knives and sharpen them in the jig, it doesn't address the issue of sharpening double sided knives. In fact, as far as I can tell, the knives sharpened in the video are single edged; at least in the video I saw they were single edged. Given there are so many products touted by videos online that turn out to be less useful than they are rated, it's always worth getting feedback and answers from others who have tried the products.

Nope. I originally responded and felt that there was no point, so I edited and just couldn't remove the whole post. Since the original question was misunderstood, no point in continuing.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the 'heads up'.  My 735x is arriving this week from Farm and Fleet for $533 w shipping.  A stand would be nice to have but my thoughts are that for the floor space required, I'd do better building one that flips and mounting a second tool.   I don't use my miter saw that often enough for dedicated stand so maybe that will share the stand.    

The 735 is replacing a Ridgid planer I've had for 4 yrs.  I should have just bought the 735 in the first place.  

• Like 1