Show us your CNC projects

Mick S

46 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

Sorry if my question sounds stupid and/or naive, I have no experience with CNC.

Is it possible to make a perfect cube in a cube with CNC without having to rotate the cube more than once per side? Do you think making such item as an entry level exercise?

Possible, theoretically. Unless I'm missing something, you'd only need to flip the piece once, since half of the machining could be done from the top, assuming the tool is long enough to reach the midpoint of one side. Theoretically because it would be really hard to keep the interior piece from breaking loose as you approach the separation point. It's done on 5 axis machines at trade shows to show off the capabilities of the machines and software.

• Thanks 1

I love that stool, Mick!  I have been needing one in the shop and that's sort of the seat I want to make, haven't decided on the legs yet.  The leg to seat joint is really nice.  How much of that was by hand and how much CNC?  I wondered if that was Spalted Maple and Purpleheart but Richard may be closer. 

The rocking horse is cool, too.  Most of our grandkids are older so I don't need to make one but it's a cool project.

David

• Like 1

Thanks, David. I used the router to for all the contours in the seat and most of the joinery*. All of the leg carving was done on the router, as well as the tapering and mortising for the stretchers. 

The woods are ambrosia maple and Peruvian walnut. Stretchers are steel with walnut sandwiched and epoxied.

*I did the leg roundovers by hand to match the radius of the seat joint. 

IMG_3853.jpg.c31c3f059b649a062b471acc234ddfbc.jpgIMG_3855.thumb.jpg.c9dd445eea971642baa7c52e8d2ef805.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Immortan D said:

It's the ultimate pantograph!

Funny you should mention that because a friend stopped by the shop a few days ago and saw the pantograph I built prior to building the CNC and asked if I planned to use the pantograph again.  In thinking about it I'm just not sure I will but it was a cool and fun to design project!  I've had dozens of requests for plans and have even considered making the pantograph itself to offer in our Etsy shop but just haven't gotten to that yet.  It would be SO much easier to cut the pieces on the CNC than doing it by hand like I did on this one.

Here's a photo and there's a video on my YouTube channel of using it for the first time (5/18/16 if you look for it).  I modified the pantograph after this photo was taken and the video made by mounting the Dremel directly to the pantograph because the flex cable runout was too great to do precise work. Also, I made a much better stylus, fully adjustable.

5a303a9c81f24_dif-Inlaypantograph1.thumb.JPG.d9615306da43e9e0a602cd6c7f6eed30.JPG

David

• Like 2

Here's a little different slant on CNC projects and one of the main reasons behind my decision to build one - fixtures, jigs, and templates.  Initially it was for building acoustic guitars but since I have branched off into doing some contract work the precise fixtures have really come in handy.  I have posted a few of them on my YouTube channel and these two in particular were in a video posted 2/9/17.  That video deals more with how and why they were made but since they have been in use for 10 months or so I thought I'd do another quick video showing them being used in a light production mode.  The consistency of parts and fixtures really shine when you're doing multiples of pieces.

So here's the quickie video from today's run of B-52 tails -

David

• Like 2