Cutting Boards

..Kev

8 minutes ago, Keggers said:

Another nice job, Kev. It's always a pleasure watching you work! Thank you!

5 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

Nice work Kev, looking forward to the next step. plus its always good to see your work flow and process, feed rate on the TS ect. i know its helped me and a bunch of others, thanks.

Thanks!  Makes putting it on video worth it!

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

Kev, The initial rip cut and glueing them back in the same order was to break up the grain pattern a tad? Also, can we assume you went to a circ saw to cross cut the board into sections, thus the burn marks on the ends? Great video as always!

I do the initial cut and keep them in the same order.  I do this to make smaller pieces to reduce the chances of warping or cupping.  I could have flip/flopped them as well but, chose not to.

As for the burns, yes.  I ended up going to the chop saw because the board was really flat with a good edge on it.  That's not typical with lumber fresh from the hardwood dealer so, I chose to leave the video clip in there of the way it really should be done for safety reasons.

So you cut the wide pieces and glued them back in the same order? I was a little confused late last night when I was watching it. 

Thanks for all the videos. I don’t know what it is about them, but I really like them and it’s always great to see them pop up in my YouTube subscription feed. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, legenddc said:

So you cut the wide pieces and glued them back in the same order? I was a little confused late last night when I was watching it. 

Thanks for all the videos. I don’t know what it is about them, but I really like them and it’s always great to see them pop up in my YouTube subscription feed. 

Thanks.

On the initial glue up, yes, I kept them in the same order.  Helps with warping and cupping.  It also creates the cross lines so that the next glue up looks like small squares.  I could have altered them but, chose not to on these.  

1 minute ago, Art said:

Thanks for the video Kev.  Is there an decent alternative to the drum sander?  I've been planning on making some, but the lack of the sander is holding me back.

Was actually giving this some thought as I was running them..  

If I didn't have the drum sander, I honestly think I'd build a small router sled and flatten that way before going to the ROS.  Would be an easy set up to toss together that could probably be done out of shop scrap.  Still more ROS work than you'd have starting with a DS but, would still be much faster than trying to do it all by sanding.