To build or buy...

Chris Whitmarsh

After talks with the wife of what we could potentially do with a CNC router and maybe earn a little money with signage and other custom work, I'm investigating whether to build or buy.  I almost always lean towards buy...  Certainly not because I have the money, but because I don't have the requisite knowledge to build and don't really consider myself mechanically inclined (quite the opposite in fact).

If I choose to buy, do y'all have any recommendations on products to either look into or avoid altogether? 

Open to any input...  Thanks in advance.

Chris

Depends on budget and requirements. I'd say under $1000, anything you buy requires assembly and/or is way overpriced for its capabilities, so building would probably be your best option. $1k to $4k is debatable. I think it's quite unlikely you'd build something with a budget over $4k (unless you go 4'x8' with big motors, a huge spindle, fat linear rails, extra rigid store bought alu extrusions and even a tool changer), that's already enough for a decent ready-made 2' x 4' machine i think. 

Also, even if you're not mechanically inclined you need to be ready to grab a wrench and adjust things whichever way you go, this would get easier if you went through the lengthy process of building it yourself.

Sorry.... got busy going back to work after the holiday!  Budget would hopefully be under 4K if we were to do it. 

Mostly we would be looking at routing wood products; I don’t foresee any metal fabrication anytime in the next 10 years, if ever. 

When I say I’m not mechanically inclined, I can change oil and turn wrenches, I just don’t trust myself all that much with building a CNC router if I’m not following very detailed plans.