Daughter's bookshelf with drawers

SawDustB

12 hours ago, mat60 said:

Going to look great when all finished.  Any idea on what your next compressor will be?

I'm not sure at the moment. I've only got space for something small. The one that died is a store brand 5 gallon that I mostly used for changing tires. I'd like something quieter, and I borrowed a Makita compressor of the same size and it's a lot better. There's a 10 gallon unit from California air tools that looks interesting - very quiet, oil free (not sure if that's good or bad) and slightly better flow ratings. We'll see. After this project, I don't really need the compressor again until winter tires go on in November.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ..Kev said:

Turned out super nice and should last a lifetime!

Thanks!

2 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Looks great!! Nice looking DT's

I'm really happy with how they came out. I found them to be easier than I expected - probably just had it hyped up in my mind as one of those ultimate woodworking accomplishments. I'm glad I took @shaneymack's advice and fixed up the spacing on them.

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

That finish looks great in pictures. I love the birch that you ended up using it has good color and the bits of flame figure really help add some depth to the piece.

Props all the touches you have added defiantly separate this by miles from anything you could get in a store.

Yeah, I really like the birch when it has that figure on it. I stood there hunting through boards for interesting ones. I think the lady at the wood store thinks I'm a little nuts, since she mostly deals with cabinet guys that just want super plain straight grain and nothing else.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SawDustB said:

Yeah, I really like the birch when it has that figure on it. I stood there hunting through boards for interesting ones. I think the lady at the wood store thinks I'm a little nuts, since she mostly deals with cabinet guys that just want super plain straight grain and nothing else.

A good opportunity to make friends and tell them you'll buy the figured stuff the cabinet guys don't want. My old lumber yard used to do that for me.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

A good opportunity to make friends and tell them you'll buy the figured stuff the cabinet guys don't want. My old lumber yard used to do that for me.

Not a bad idea. I've actually found that the selection for me was better after the cabinet guys came through and cleared out what they wanted, since a lot of the remainder had flame figure on it. Unfortunately, at the moment my pace is about 1 large and 2-3 small projects a year, so I don't actually buy all that much wood.

2 minutes ago, SawDustB said:

Not a bad idea. I've actually found that the selection for me was better after the cabinet guys came through and cleared out what they wanted, since a lot of the remainder had flame figure on it. Unfortunately, at the moment my pace is about 1 large and 2-3 small projects a year, so I don't actually buy all that much wood.

At your pace you can plan ahead and let them know what your looking for.

I hear ya with the pace. I make a bit more stuff than you do beings that i currently have a new fairly empty house. I was looking at 500 BF of cherry for $2 a BF and i paused because i didn't know what i'd do with 500 BF.

17 hours ago, Chestnut said:

At your pace you can plan ahead and let them know what your looking for.

I hear ya with the pace. I make a bit more stuff than you do beings that i currently have a new fairly empty house. I was looking at 500 BF of cherry for $2 a BF and i paused because i didn't know what i'd do with 500 BF.

Yes, true enough. At the pace I've been going I've got a couple of years of projects lined up :rolleyes:. I think next up might be my hand tool cabinet, finally. I've been wanting that since before I started building the Roubo 2 years ago, but I decided having a workbench to build it on would make it easier. The only question is whether I make it out of something different or just go back for more Birch... It works well, it's relatively inexpensive, and it's easy to match to BB plywood for obvious reasons.

Now that is a difficult question. If i ever get caught up with projects and start making shop fictures, i fully plan to go light color wood liek birch and maple. Megan likes walnut and iw as able to compormise with a balance of walnut and cherry but it leaves me using only darker woods and sometimes i like to cleanse my palette with some light colored wood ...

I had a hard time deciding between palette palate and pallet, our cursed language does render it's self to some bad jokes.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chet said:

That came out really nice Brian.  You should be proud of the whole thing, but especially your first hand cut dovetails. Great work.

Thanks Chet! I'm really happy with the result (although I'll be even happier once it moves out of my shop soI can look at starting something new).

• Like 1