Daughter's bookshelf with drawers

SawDustB

Make sure you measure corner to corner( at the top and bottom ) right after glue up . It's easy to rack a drawer out of square and hard to fix once the glue dries.  I would use TB3 for the longer open time with all those box jointed corners to glue up. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So I've been swamped with work the last few weeks, but I got out last night and fit the back. I was surprised at how well my block plane worked on the plywood.

20180529_071120.thumb.jpg.78f325c15c7757e16ad20b14c96896f1.jpg

Aside from that, I've glued up the drawers and filled/sanded all the joints. Next up, drawer fronts, then a whole lot of surface prep.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, Tmize said:

I usually clamp some kind of guide down the edge then use double sided tape to hold in place. I usually predrill holes in the drawer before getting ready the install the fronts even less chance of something shifting 

I think we're more or less on the same page with that. I have a couple of scraps double stick taped to the front right now, in the correct position. My biggest issue at the moment is managing to stick the drawer front to the box so I can put in a couple of screws. My double sided tape didn't work, because the drawer is recessed by 1/32" or so with the case on its back.

8 hours ago, Tmize said:

Can you take the back off an stand it up. Then starting at the bottom drawer an work your way up. If it still fighting you clamp a caul across the front to keep from pushing it out

The back is already off. I don't think it will be a problem, just didn't have time to tackle it tonight.

1 hour ago, curlyoak said:

For safety sake I think this heirloom furniture needs to be screwed to the wall. Provisions should be made. With the top drawer open and a little down pressure on the face it will go over, I think. Maybe a screw block along the back on top?

Already planned for - I'm using @wdwerker's suggestion for a French cleat. I haven't put it on yet, since the back needs to go on first, and I'll spray my finish before that.

31 minutes ago, curlyoak said:

An heirloom. Built for the ages! Signed and dated?

Not yet, but I will before it goes into her room. I still have some more finish sanding to do.

14 minutes ago, Keggers said:

Great job! I'm sure your daughter will love it!

Thanks! I'm not sure she believes that I'll ever finish it. 

• 2 weeks later...