Cherry Bookcase

Chris Spann

2 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Chris, the project is coming along nicely. I wouldnt get discouraged about those sliding dovetails. Some people have difficulty cutting them with machinery and you are doing them by hand ! Very impressive. Something i can say I will probably never try. 

Thanks. I really love using hand tools but it can be very frustrating. I feel it’s like playing golf. That one good hit every round is what keeps you going back. 

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

After I've started to mix in some hand tools I've found they aren't nearly as slow as i always thought they would be. There is a lot more technique to learn. Is there a reason you don't use a back board orsacrificial piece to help stop the tearout?

That's absolutely what I should have done and in the future I will.  I actually thought about it when I was planing the second one but I wanted to see if I could do it.  Stupid pride ha ha

Just now, Chris Spann said:

That's absolutely what I should have done and in the future I will.  I actually thought about it when I was planing the second one but I wanted to see if I could do it.  Stupid pride ha ha

Na stupid pride would be doing this 10 more times before giving in.

• Like 2

Ok fellas what do you guys think about attaching the back. I’ve got the bottom shelf in with a half dovetail dado. I plan on routing a 1/2” deep x 3/8 wide rabbet all the way around the inside for the shiplapped boards. Probably gonna be 3 wide boards. My thought is to glue the long outside edges to the sides and nail or screw the boards into the top, bottom, and middle shelf with elongated holes so they can move. What about the middle board?  Just nail or screw it in the middle so it can move out both directions?  

Got the back routed to accept the shiplapped boards.  I have this routed at 3/8 wide and 1/2 deep.  I think I'm going to widen it to 1/2 along the outside edge to have more room to screw or nail the boards.  I was also able to get the adjustable shelf pin holes drilled but no pics of that.  

IMG_1850.JPG

IMG_1851.JPG

I am in the camp with Paul and Mat, if it were me I wouldn't use any glue, just some small screws.  If you really feel the need for glue, maybe a couple of small dots of hot glue.  Then if you had any unexpected stresses in the wood I think the hot glue would pop loose before the wood damaged.

I think I probably stated my intentions incorrectly. Glue along the long grain edge only should still allow for expansion across the board as long as I elongate the screw or nail holes. Am I missing something?  No glue on the inside edges of the shiplap. Only along the case side.  I tried to set this up so it would move to the front of the case. No glue in the slide doves either. 

Shouldn't be a problem to glue the sliding dovetails . The side of the case and the shelf should expand & contract at the same rate. You could be safe and just glue the front 2" or so.  I haven't glued any part of  solid wood backs in 40 + years. Plywood on the other hand.....

I think what I will do is just use screws at first and see how it is. I was copying a Rob Cosman idea about gluing the sides in order to make it more structurally sound. If the screws will prevent racking in that will Work great. I do really appreciate everybody’s help with this.