Cherry Bookcase

Chris Spann

I'm starting a bookcase for my son and I'm going to try and keep my progress on here.  I'll be honest though, I'm not the best at documenting so I may wind up with some gaps in the project.  Here are some Sketchup pics I'm working on for ideas.  I haven't put a base on it yet since I'm still not sure what I'll be doing for it.  Right now I still have a stack of roughly dimensioned lumber and  vague idea of what I want to do.  What's your thoughts on stopped sliding dovetails?  I'm still trying to figure out how I'll attach the back too.

Chris

Capture 1.JPG

Capture 2.JPG

Capture 3.JPG

IMG_1696.JPG

IMG_1695.JPG

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TIODS said:

Just thoughts..  Why not a 1/4" rabbet for the back and running the sliding DTs all the way through?  Nice project!

That's a great idea.  I've been pondering the best method for the center shelf and back.  I want a solid back on it.  Probably shiplapped.   I've been debating about the best way to attach it.  If I go with through DTs on the sides they could be seen from the back but that really wouldn't matter I suppose. I'm also planning to put some sort of cove molding around the top so that only the ends of the pins show.  I gotta find some thicker stock I can make the molding from.  Anyway, if I run a rabbet around the back and start with a half tail instead of a half pin, the molding will hide the rabbet showing through on the end.  Or I do a stopped rabbet.  I think a half tail would be better though as it'll leave more meat after the rabbet is cut.  

Assuming 3/4" thick case material, your sliding DTs would be 3/8" deep.  So, a 1/4" deep by 3/8" wide rabbet in the back would mean that the DTs wouldn't be seen in the back.

As for the rabbets and the DTs, this could be done a couple of ways.

1.  Stopped as you mentioned above or;

2.  Build the case and then route the rabbet in the back using a chisel to square up the corners.

Those numbers probably change a little with a ship lapped back but, you get the idea..  You could use thicker material by simply changing that 1/4" number to the thickness of your material.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TIODS said:

Assuming 3/4" thick case material, your sliding DTs would be 3/8" deep.  So, a 1/4" deep by 3/8" wide rabbet in the back would mean that the DTs wouldn't be seen in the back.

As for the rabbets and the DTs, this could be done a couple of ways.

1.  Stopped as you mentioned above or;

2.  Build the case and then route the rabbet in the back using a chisel to square up the corners.

Those numbers probably change a little with a ship lapped back but, you get the idea..  You could use thicker material by simply changing that 1/4" number to the thickness of your material.

Ahhhh.  I gotcha.  That makes sense.  I like the idea of routing the back after the case is built too.  I gotta be honest, the more I think of starting with a half tail instead of half pin, the more I like it though.  I think it looks more symmetrical.  I will do some more figuring and see what I come up with.  Thanks for the ideas!

• Like 1

Just now, Chris Spann said:

Ahhhh.  I gotcha.  That makes sense.  I like the idea of routing the back after the case is built too.  I gotta be honest, the more I think of starting with a half tail instead of half pin, the more I like it though.  I think it looks more symmetrical.  I will do some more figuring and see what I come up with.  Thanks for the ideas!

If you're going that route, build the case any way you like.  Just use the right rabbeting bit to accept your backer material.

• 2 weeks later...

My schedule lately has not been very conducive to shop work but I have slowly made some process on Sketchup (I'd rather make sawdust!!).  Here are some more screenshots of the working design.  I'm learning to use sketchup as I go so it's not as polished as I'd like.  This includes the rabbet idea though.  I have decided that with this design, half tails will definitely work better and provide a little more meat on the corners for the rabbet.  The top has half tails and the bottom has half pins in the sketchup.  I still want to put in some adjustable shelves, a base, and some cove molding around the top.  

Capture5.JPG

Capture6.JPG

Capture7.JPG

Capture8.JPG

7 hours ago, Chestnut said:

You said that's cherry? the lighting makes it look almost as dark as walnut. DTs look clean. I've never tried to do them by hand but have been meaning to.

Yep it’s Cherry. I have terrible lighting. It’s really pretty wood. Got lucky and found it at City Hardwoods in Birmingham. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2018 at 4:51 PM, Chris Spann said:

Yep it’s Cherry. I have terrible lighting. It’s really pretty wood. Got lucky and found it at City Hardwoods in Birmingham. 

Are those the nice bookmatch pair they had? I was in there last Friday an almost bought them just because Lol

On 1/15/2018 at 6:27 PM, Tmize said:

Are those the nice bookmatch pair they had? I was in there last Friday an almost bought them just because Lol

No I’ve had this stuff for a while now. It’s been a while since I’ve been up there. I’m afraid if I go I’ll spend all my money. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I made the ugliest sliding dovetail in history tonight. I’m using an emmerich dovetail plane to make the tail and I cut the female side with a back saw. I had a lot of trouble with blowout with the plane. Gonna tinker with the depth of the iron and the knicker when I cut the other side. Not happy with this work though. 

5E1135FE-D8DC-4818-BA1B-2150003C299C.jpeg

A48EE7A1-0E93-4413-B38F-635321B011F8.jpeg

085A55B5-569A-430C-9E49-51CF9FC5C5A8.jpeg

9438834F-AEC0-42CB-A38C-E8C850ADA8AD.jpeg

• Like 1

Did you just have problems with the plane or did you have any issues cutting the female side with the backsaw? I will be doing some tapered sliding dovetails soon (6 of them) and I have never tried that joint before. I plan to cut both the male and female parts with a saw, either a backsaw or a Japanese-style pull saw, running against a guide. I tried a trial joint and all it showed is that I need to do more trials before I tackle anything for real. Got any tips?

8 hours ago, Wood Basher said:

Did you just have problems with the plane or did you have any issues cutting the female side with the backsaw? I will be doing some tapered sliding dovetails soon (6 of them) and I have never tried that joint before. I plan to cut both the male and female parts with a saw, either a backsaw or a Japanese-style pull saw, running against a guide. I tried a trial joint and all it showed is that I need to do more trials before I tackle anything for real. Got any tips?

I had two issues. One being the blowout from the plane. It wound up chipping off the corner of the dovetail and makes the joint look sloppy. The other was the saw hopped out of the kerf and scarred the corner of the socket. That was all me. I have cut these befor using saws and chisels and had more success with it looking tight. I’m going to practice more with the plane and see if that helps before I cut the other side. I recommend cutting yourself a saw guide to use if the cut is very long. Mine was 11” across. 

1 hour ago, Chris Spann said:

I recommend cutting yourself a saw guide to use if the cut is very long. Mine was 11” across.

Yes, I plan to make a guide, possibly with some magnets embedded in it. My joints will be about 15". I won't have your problems with blowout using the plane because I don't have a dovetail plane to use. I will be wary of the saw jumping out of the kerf. Thanks for the tip and apologies for hijacking your thread.