Looking for a sander

Ronn W

I have a spindle sander but am looking for a sander that can be used for concave surfaces and for sanding small peices and the sides of small boxes.  I was considering the Ridgid spindle/ belt combo sander but then I ran across this one.  https://www.eastwood.com/4-in-x-36-in-belt-w-6-in-disc-sander.html

I liked that fact that the belt sander can be used in the horizontal or vertical position.  The reviews were good but I noticed that most the the revews were from metal workers.  I also noticed that it had the following speeds: Belt at 1800 FPM and disc at 3450 FPM.  I compared that to a Rikon product made for wood working which had a belt speed of 1835 FPM and disc speed 2510. 

So my question is this - what speeds are appropriate for wood?

Any thoughts you all my have about things to consider when buying a sander would be appreciated.  Thanks.

+ 1 to Chet and RichardA, i have the 6" belt and 9" disk combination from HF and have been running it for about 4 years with no trouble, the stand that comes with it is too low and is pretty cheap so i made a new stand for it. my thought is that its a sander and if the belt and disk go around and stay on its good enough for me.

• Like 1